REFUNDS

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by GCotten, Mar 17, 2020.

1. GCotten

GCotten Member

I am sure at some point in time if not already the question of "refunds" prorated or otherwise for payment of the use of RCSC facilities and services will surface and become a potential issue. The length of closure of facilities and services will obviously play into how important this item becomes. I haven't done much research on the topic so I thought I would just throw it out there for any comments. All Sun City property owners who have paid the $496 property assessment along with any other temporary residents who have paid any type of monthly, quarterly recreation fees of any kind could potentially fall into the equation.

2. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

No pro rata discount expected by me. Although I don't know exactly about how the RCSC is handling this it seems "closed" is just for us since there still gonna be a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on. They said golfing will continue (although in fairness they should cut down their hrs. and declare courses open for walkers since our only place at Lakeview is locked) so some recreational activity is still functioning like snack shops with prepackaged food. And even if the bldgs are "closed" am pretty sure they still gotta keep the electricity on to run the pool pumps and watering systems going to keep up the grounds and some staff is probably deemed "essential" so our $ is still being spent, and there will be lots of lost income without bowling league play, etc. so our rec fee will need to cover more than usual and now would not be the time to pull any of it away without dire consequences.

3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I'm also not looking for a refund. Utilities, paid leave, upkeep of golf courses, insurance etc. must all be paid during this time by the RCSC. It would be great if golf is suspended so that residents could walk on outer edges/golf cart paths. The RCSC could shut down the walking if irresponsible people bring in dogs or wander onto the greens. Plenty of room to allow the 6' personal space to avoid the spread of COVID-19.

Many employees depend on this paycheck to supplement Social Security or it may even be their sole income. I wish everyone good health until this passes.

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

A myriad of thoughts and awash with a sense of loss. The only saving grace is, we aren't alone in how we are impacted. Parts of the country are far worse. We tend to dwell in our own minds on the unfairness on what is going on, and then i see myself as becoming "presidential" when i want to lash out and look to blame others. This is simply life as we know it today. Get over it. Look to what you can do to help your neighbor, they may well be worse off than you. Perhaps there will be the proverbial silver lining in all of this. We'll see.

As far as the RCSC, they had no alternative. They had to close. We can debate leaving outdoor activities open as they did in Sun City Grand, but no matter which direction they took, people would piss and moan. I told you early on, this was way above "pay grade." It still is, only in that it wasn't my job to vote yay or nay. For those who had to make the call, kudos. It's over and done with. It appears as if those on the payroll will keep getting paid, that's a good thing and as such i am for one happy to keep paying my fees as if there was no break in service,

The bigger test will be two or three months from now. No one knows how long getting this under control will take, The only thing we know for sure is; the better we isolate, the sooner it goes away.

Stay safe and smile...this too shall pass.

5. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

I guess we each have things we should worry about. My recollection is the Facilities Agreement is totally one-sided favoring the RCSC's right to collect no matter what, so a refund for part of my annual assessment is at the bottom of my list right now. But it did divert my thinking about things near the top of the list, if only for a brief instant.

6. Say What

Say What Active Member

We have the least expensive fees in the nation. Anyone that would even have the nerve to ask for a refund should be ashamed of them selves. You guys can walk outside anywhere in sun City. Golf course haters will never change. Lawn bowling costs us residences last year alone over a quarter million dollars and they bring in pennies. When not in use these would make a great dog park. Wonder why nobody posts here? You can jam so much history and negativity about the board day after day. Two of you were board members oh I mean three, obviously nobody agreed with your agenda. Stay in good health, this is going to be a long term situation. Warm weather may not make a difference. I hope I'm wrong. peace and love.

7. IndependentCynic

Surely you jest? Lawn bowling requires perfectly flat and no obstacles -- a DP should be varied terrain, fenced, replete with toys, water, and obstacles, shade, etc. And no we can't "walk outside anywhere in SC" -- the golf courses, for example.

suncityjack and BPearson like this.
  8. BPearson

Not to worry IC, the shot was at me as a lawn bowler. I have to smile, especially since my post above was supporting the boards decision. Virtually everything i said was positive. I guess my failure to support the 15% of the population that golfs getting 40 million dollars in PIF and general ledger shoveled at it struck chords over the years. You are right say what; we were never able to overcome the majority of golfers on the board who aligned with the general manager to save golf (said sarcastically) and ignore the rest of the communities needs.

Shoveling history at you is a problem say what? Why in the world would that be? I can only assume you are a current board member and resent the fact i use history as a backdrop for where we currently are. If so, it's tragic. Understanding how and why we were successful is little more than a guide to our future. You do make me smile though. Over the years i have written millions of words regarding Sun City. 90% of them have been stone cold promotional pieces regarding all things good about this amazing community. If you can't handle the occasional critique, you need to toughen up.

By the way, i see the RCSC is now nearly out of the last magazine i wrote for them, perhaps you can jump in and write the next one. That would only leave you four behind me. The bigger challenge we all will face is where this struggle with COVID-19 takes us. Two weeks would be nothing, two months easily manageable, two years, kiss your backside goodbye. That's why i said above the "refund" issue wasn't one. However the longer it drags on, the bigger it gets to those living here; especially those living on the edge. BTW, the Sun City Foundation doesn't have the funds to cover that many people. How do i know that? Been there, done that too.

9. Members asking for prorate refund are just members of chiselers anonymous who are always looking for ways for getting more than they pay for. Cue golfers a couple of years ago and I believe Mr Cotton was part of this group hustling for a refund when some courses were closed. Obviously they are clueless what it takes to operate Sun City and the revenue required.
    I am not sure if SW is aware that I am a former Board member and my agenda was always to do good and maintain my integrity. I do not golf, bowl, lawn bowl, belong to a club, own a dog or swim. I did use Fairway a few years ago and last summer to rehab from knee surgery but never expected any kind of forbearance because I did not use the facilities on a regular basis.
    I am sorry that people did not agree with my agenda but voted for the annual Christmas decorations although I am an atheist because I knew the residents would enjoy them along with the music as did I. I voted against the PIF increase because I believe it unnecessary and had math to back up my position. Since the figures were confidential I could not disclose them and requested that members believe I could prove it. People who know me took me at my word and advised others that I was trustworthy.
    As for walking the golf course, I live on the South course, lived here since 2005 and have walked the course in the early morning and early evening. One of my oldest friends and his wife visit me annually from the Midwest for Spring Training and to thaw out. They walked the course daily without repercussions. Consequently I find your allegation IC not exactly holding water.
    In closing and a bit off topic, the letter in this week’s Independent from a Paula Sandoval saying this virus warning is the result “Chicken Littles” is dangerous to say the least. The daily numbers both here and worldwide are not made up. As I said before this virus is a killer, especially in SC. My current advice to Ms. Sandoval, and I believe her to be a decent person, turn off Fox News, they are entertainers and idiots although they went 180 yesterday on this. In the alternative, if you believe this is a tempest in a teapot, lick a doorknob.
    Please take care people as we are in this altogether.

10. GCotten

GCotten Member

Mr. Geoffrey de Villehardouin;

You refer to me having been involved with "chiselers anonymous" and a group of golfers "hustling for a refund"........I have no idea what you are talking about. Possibly you have me confused with someone else. I have never been a golfer nor do I participate in any RCSC activities. I haven't even been to a rec center in close to a year and a half nor am I a member of any clubs. I haven't even been to the Sun Bowl entertainment in roughly four years. My only involvment of any kind is that of a committee member at SCHOA. I pay my RCSC and SCHOA assessments and dues and I am glad to do so and certainly have no plans of requesting any type of refunds. This site is where Sun City issues are discussed and my previous posting is appropriate for discussion purposes. It is NOT appropriate for you to take liberties to post false information about me which is what you have done. If you have trouble understanding any of this then possibly we should have a more private conversation. In addition it probably wouldn't hurt for you to use your other name that you are better known for.

11. BPearson

Ouch, one day in and the world is getting testy. Seems to me GdV was on the board when the golfers went after them for extending the full play pass for the weeks they lost. As Gary noted, he was not one of them. I didn't recall he was and was surprised to see it suggested. I posted information regarding what both SCW and SCD did in hopes our own board would look at how each community reacted. Clearly, both were ahead of us, and different. No idea which is better or worse, but it is pretty clear now this community will feel the strain of shutting down everything but golf. Stir crazy will be the order of the day as the weeks become months. Let's hope the months don't become years.

Went out and bought an elliptical, will be delivered this afternoon. An hour or two a day on that, a massive supply of reading material, a new puppy coming in 4 weeks and the pool heating up should hold us in good stead through the summer. I did stop by the library and they are indeed closed. I repeat my offer, if you need a supply of really good mystery authors to get you away from the boob tube. just pm me. In fact, i think i will put a sign up in my front yard with an offer to my neighbors. I find reading takes me away from the craziness and lets me just enjoy a story well told.

12. IndependentCynic

LOL, 2-hours on an elliptical? I'd rather get the virus -- I'd have a better chance of survival.

Walking the dog works for me (and the dog) although walking on sidewalks does aggravate my hips and knees. But you got me thinking -- I just might pull the old wooden Nordic Trak out of storage for some cardio now that the gym is closed -- no impact yet as much arm/leg cardio as I can take..

BPearson likes this.
  13. Mr. Cotton, you are probably correct on this point as I am still c9ming to grips with short term memory issues. I probably confused you with the golfers when your issue was reverse mortgages and changing our bylaws. For this I apologize.
    I do stand by the factual content for the balance of my post.

On to Jerusalem! God wills it! (Templar knight motto so I am not misunderstood)

14. IndependentCynic

My apologies. I took SW's post to be aimed at, besides BP, Dog Park supporters who SW seemed to equate with "golf course haters". In my experience many DP users are, in fact, avid golfers. And you are correct, one is allowed to walk the golf course cart paths -- but only at certain times of the day.

Unlike you and your visitors, I don't live particularly near a Course and I am not an early bird, so walking the golf course cart paths isn't a very practical option for me. Full disclosure, the risk taker in me did walk my dog off-leash a couple times on one of the courses as darkness set in. It was before CM posted (a while ago) about her encounter with a golf marshal and tickets and her dog peeing on the course just off the street sidewalk. So I quit walking the dog there at dusk. It wasn't just the threat of a ticket that caused me to stop, rather it was the whole idea that Barney Fife would ride up on his golf cart and lecture about me and my dog violating the golf course RULES, like some major violation of society had occurred. That, and knowing that off-leash violated County law, that there's the possibility of encountering a unfriendly wildlife in the twilight of dusk, occasionally getting doused by sprinklers, etc.

Off-topic or not, I agree with your denigration of those claiming the pandemic is overblown or a hoax. Fox News reporting is responsible in part for getting many people infected. In another thread I posted last Saturday that we'd be at 20,000 infections by this coming Sunday -- we're at 11,355 right now, so it now looks like the number will be closer to 25,000. ANYONE coming in close association with someone infected is at risk. Do you know who's infected? Is your neighbor, someone at the grocery store or pharmacy, someone on the golf course. It's like stepping in a pit full of rattlers and gopher snakes. One will make you sick, one won't --- and you can't tell until after it bites you.

15. BPearson

Damn IC, it's the curse of being an addictive compulsive. So many bad habits and times like these they all rear their ugly head. Nothing worse than sitting at the computer 12 hours a day and gorging on all the wrong food groups. Cannot wait for the machine to arrive and get moving. We walk the pup three times a day, but that's still nowhere near my required steps. Had a Nordic Track back in the 80's, i was pathetic on it. My fix back then was the stair master and doing an hour full out. Hence three knee replacements and one hip.

Unlike most, i can't wait for the hot weather. Of course bet of all we now know COVID-19 will be crushed by those steamy temps. Thank you Mr. president.

16. Say What

Say What Active Member

I love pets I have 4 rescues, every golf course has common ground believe it or not and can be used for walking etc during non hours of golf

17. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

This thread sure has a wide scope. Here's the exact rule regarding pets on golf course property. I'm not sure what SW is considering as "common ground".

1. Category I Offenses
    a. Motorized carts driving too close to greens, between bunkers and the putting surface and/or ignoring cart path only rules

b. Driving in, pulling a cart in, or hitting from areas not for play, including but not limited to areas under repair, beautification areas, any designated or marked areas and wet or soft areas

c. Underage cart drivers or golfers (all cart drivers must be 16 years of age)

d. Non-golfers on course during hours of play or pets on golf course at any time – violators may also be prosecuted for trespassing – organized events may allow spectators at the discretion of the Director of Golf

18. SCR

SCR Active Member

BP - did I miss something? As far as I have heard, there is no evidence that warm weather will kill the covid19. Last I heard was that this virus may continue for 18 months.

19. Say What

Say What Active Member

I never said anything about walking a dog on the course. I am an animal lover which had nothing to do with it on a golf course people can walk on a golf course after hours or before hours 7 days a week

20. BPearson

My bad SCR, just a shot at our president and this most amazing quote from 2/10: "Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away"

Given my friendly disposition and willingness to show some love, let me help you out here Say What. Here's what you said: "I love pets I have 4 rescues, every golf course has common ground believe it or not and can be used for walking etc during non hours of golf." it would have read better, more coherently with this simply change: "I love pets I have 4 rescues. Every golf course has common ground believe it or not and can be used for walking etc during non hours of golf." That way there is no confusion on what you were trying to say.

Day two and already we are making remarkable progress in our newly found non-socialization. Awesome.