RCSC Special Session on 12/22 is an open board meeting

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Michael Wendel, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Michael Wendel

Michael Wendel Active Member

I was talking with my wife. She got the email regarding the special session. She thought it was a private (closed) meeting (aka Executive Session).

I just want to clarify for everyone, the meeting on Thursday is open. Its just like any other open board meeting. It's special because its not on the regular schedule. Members can attend!

2. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I don't suspect the members will have an opportunity to comment?

3. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Of course not!
    No agenda.
    No motion on an agenda.
    No comments allowed.
    Observe only.

4. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Well, I think an argument can be made that comments are allowed.

Article V, Section 5, says: "All meetings of the Board and Member/Board Exchanges, excluding Executive Sessions, shall be open and video recorded. Member comments at Board Meetings will be limited to posted motions."

So the way I see it, this Special Session is in fact a "meeting of the Board."

And as far as "posted motions" go, the call of the meeting specifies "Second Reading of the 2023 Budget".

The only business that can be transacted in a Special Session is that which was specified in the call of that meeting. The only motion that is possible is the motion to accept the proposed 2023 budget!

Hence, it's a meeting of the Board and the posted motion is the Second Reading of the 2023 Budget, so it appears to me that this Special Session has all the necessary characteristics that satisfies Article V, Section 5, therefore, comments should be allowed.

What am I missing?

Michael Wendel likes this.
  5. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

FYI, you are correct, sir!
    What if our directors and parliamentarian debate and claim there is a distinction between a monthly Board meeting and a Special Session?
    Smacking my forehead for believing the many times I’ve heard, “Members may only comment on motions posted on the agenda.
    Wonder if a signup sheet to comment will be provided at Thursday’s Special Session?

“Meeting Minutes and Summaries
    Last Section: Please Note
    As of April 2022, the Board has returned to having one Member/Board Exchange where Members are allowed to comment on any matters of concern. One Board Meeting each month (except July and August) is open to all Members with opportunity to comment on only motions under consideration.”

https://suncityaz.org/rcsc/meeting-minutes-and-summaries/

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  6. jeb

jeb Active Member

Other than the obvious? Madam Chairwoman already violated her own edict when she didn't allow comments on Committee Recommendations. Bylaws say "posted motions" with no caveats; She added the same unspoken phrase she's added to all her rules: "unless I decide differently..."