RCSC Photography Waiver & You

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by eyesopen, Feb 8, 2024.

1. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

RCSC’s Photography Waiver
    Do you consent?
    Yes, you do, whenever you step foot on RCSC property!
    An abbreviated version is read at all video recorded RCSC meetings.
    I have never seen a post of the waiver at any facility entrance.
    Only stumbled onto it when looking up something on the Press & Publications page!

THE WAIVER

“Photographs and video may be taken at any time at the recreational and social facilities owned and operated by the Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc. (“RCSC”).

Your attendance at RCSC facilities will constitute

• your irrevocable consent to be photographed, videotaped and recorded,

• your irrevocable consent to the use of your likeness by RCSC and others acting on its behalf, for the purpose of advertising and promotion in any media, throughout the world in perpetuity, including but not limited to television and the world wide web,

• and your waiver of any compensation or permission for such use.”

Waiver is the very last thing on the RCSC Press & Publications website page. Just keep scrolling down: https://suncityaz.org/rcsc/presscommunications/

carptrash likes this.
  2. BruceW

BruceW Active Member

Smile, you’re on candid camera!

carptrash and eyesopen like this.
  3. old and tired

old and tired Active Member

When the Board Member Exchanges were at Lakeview, they had a sign on the door. Haven't seen any lately but I haven't looked either.

eyesopen likes this.
  4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I think at any member or board meeting that is recorded they read the statement about appearing on video. We used to bring media types around the centers on a regular basis and periodically crabby old members would complain. That was when they adopted the initial language that forewarned members abo

eyesopen likes this.
  5. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

interesting. i know there is no waiver required on public properties owned by the government, but are private properties exempt as well? not sure. one would think at a minimum the policy would be posted at all facilities giving people the right to choose where photos of them appear. transparency. damn those crabby old members!!!

6. Tom Trepanier

Tom Trepanier Well-Known Member

Hope not in locker rooms when they are being used. Any statement to that effect?

7. eyesopen

Bill, yes, RCSC is consistent about,
    “An abbreviated version is read at all video recorded RCSC meetings.”

They do not include, “throughout the world in perpetuity,”

In my limited layman’s understanding,
    you sign a waiver voluntarily giving up a privilege or legal right.

RCSC isn’t asking, they’re telling!

They’re poorly informing members, and anyone accessing properties, burying the waiver on the website.

A notice of the waiver needs to be prominently displayed at all RCSC property entrances as O&T said was done previously.

Then people have a choice to consent or not and an opportunity to always “look their best” if they accept.

8. Happy Hippie

LOL! Frightening thought! Reminds me of the time my dad told my mom she needed ironing! (both 84 at the time)

carptrash likes this.
  9. Happy Hippie

After a little research it appears if a grumpy old person decided to, he/she could sue, although unlikely. The example I read about was a church video recording that was posted publicly without consent of the people in it, and due to the fact that the church was not a govt. owned property a lawsuit could be filed. Does RCSC ever ask? Probably, however they don't always take the answers of members into consideration.

10. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Isn't it nice that they can splash YOUR photo all over the internet but you can't record or video tape Member/Board Exchanges or Board meetings?

eyesopen likes this.
  11. Happy Hippie

just guessing here but if someone gets a photo of you online i would think it came from you. a little different than someone video recording you at bell rec center without your permission.

12. Tom Trepanier

Wonder what an attorney or judge would say about said waiver? I have heard a waiver dismissing physical injury at a fitness center does not necessarily carry much weight.

13. eyesopen

When negligence can be proven a waiver is useless.

Tom Trepanier likes this.
  14. eyesopen

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander?
    Substitute
    Goose - RCSC
    Gander - Members

15. Tom Trepanier

Makes sense! Good call, again!