RCSC Board/Exchange Meeting 10/14

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by aggie, Oct 14, 2019.

1. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm still shaking my head. Watch the video yourself and ask if this is a welcoming atmosphere for member input and questions. :(

2. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

Shameful! All of the discussion was done via email before the meeting are held. How pathetic!

3. Ida Eisert

Ida Eisert Member

Members should be allowed to speak before any vote period.

carptrash likes this.
  4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I'm confused. I watched the video, at least as much as i could and before anyone had a chance from the crowd to speak, the video crapped out. Anybody able to fill us in on the remainder of the meeting?

So you all know, the long range planning committee passed a motion for the RCSC to fund the softball building through the capital (yearly) budget. The softball club has been asking for a new building for years. When the board shoved it at the LRPC, had it been funded by PIF, the softball club wouldn't see a building till 2023 (at the earliest). Our hope was to accelerate that by a couple of years. Funny how they always have excess float for the projects they want. The oddity was it was voted down, so now what?

5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I guess you had to be there to hear the interactions. I'm kind of glad the rest of the meeting was lost because it was really uncomfortable to be there in person. There were at least 5 cardholders that made comments or asked questions at the end of of the meeting.

Board Member Stella Van Ness also asked for a monthly accounting of the solar panel usage & cost which was agreed to by management. There was a suggestion that the RCSC hire a project manager so that multiple projects could be carried out at the same time. Management said at present it would be too cumbersome to manage more than one project at a time. The construction clock on Grand Avenue has begun and has a completion date for the first building of April 2020.

Note: I didn't realize the video was up and half of it lost when I started this thread.

6. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

RE: "Note: I didn't realize the video was up and half of it lost"
    I can't remember.
    Did RCSC decide that we really don't need to update our technologies?

7. BPearson

Irony at its finest. We don't need no stinking tech improvements.

Heard Stella questioned why the boards request for management to monitor and report to the board about what was going on with solar was all but ignored. Way to hold them accountable gang.

8. BPearson

Praise the lord and pass the peanut butter. They must have spliced the tape together and now the whole thing is posted. when i get a moment i can finish watching it.

9. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Better hold that peanut butter & praise. The "missing minutes" are still vanished into thin air.

10. BPearson

Why in the world would they resend it if they didn’t get it fixed?

11. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Maybe going forward there should be a secondary audio only recording to back up in case of future glitches. Should be simple enough.

12. SCR

SCR Active Member

I have no clue why anyone who regularly posts on this forum would believe anything the BOD does or DOES NOT do. The BOD is nothing but a mouthpiece for the GM.
    For those who believe that there are no electronic meetings between the BOD members and/or GM, I have some beach front property in Sun City that I can sell you at
    a reduced price. The BOD has ceased to be working for the community. They are now working for the GM. That being the case, there is no reason to even have a BOD.
    Let the GM assume sole and complete responsibility for Sun City. Let the BOD stay home and be non-committal and uninterested in the functioning of Sun City and let
    the GM do their bidding.

As for the latest debacle with the video of the BOD meeting, There should always be at least one backup to everything that is done electronically.
    This debacle again reinforces the fact that our entire IT department should be run by a competent outside organization. Our IT department hasn't got a clue.
    I think that the BOD and GM believe that if you are proficient on a smartphone, your are an expert IT person. And on that no0te I will say that there are NO
    experts, only knowledgeable and well-learned individuals on the subject. Expert is used way to often by people to describe themselves.

13. BPearson

Ouch SCR; i want to believe the best in people will surface, not the worst. I'm often disappointed. Being an optimist is better than being a pessimist. In the end, becoming a realist is where it typically falls down.

I really wanted to see the rest of the bard meeting. Several things happened that peaked my curiosity. The one most troubling starts with Rich's comments if the RCSC was going to build the softball club a new building out of general ledger, it would mean raising yearly fees by $15 to $25 per card member. Anyone that has paid attention over the last ten plus years knows the "float" the GM works with has been in the 1 to 2 million dollar range every year. It wasn't how i learned to do budgets, but she was comfortable with it, and board members didn't seem to give a rats ass.

It worked really well as pet projects could get done even when they weren't on the books; or when an "emergency" arose. Golf was often the recipient. Carryover from year to year just seemed to be the norm. When the long range planning committee had the softball building shoved at us, we shoved it back at the board suggesting they build it into the budget. The softball club claimed they have been requesting a new building for years, always being ignored. After all, golf was king...how's that working out for us?

So, here's why i wanted to see the rest of the meeting: I was told the RCSC could finish the year as much as 2 million dollars over budget and that is why the softball building was going to have to be a PIF project. I went to the financials for the year and it appears it is clearly an issue. The claim was made it was because of the increase on minimum wages but they were actually below budget on payroll. There was a huge spike in utilities, even though we now own the solar outright. All of which added to wanting to hear/see the comments from Stella regarding the solar reporting the board had directed management to provide them, but never got done.

When no one pays attention, and worse yet, when the board gives free reign to management with no accountability, is there any wonder when things start to break down?