Questions from the blog...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jul 17, 2022.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

For those who aren't aware, i became an active member of the Sun City Advocates when they were first formed. The group was an off shoot that came to life when Karen McAdam was fired in 2021 and there was a need to try and re-establish the voice of the RCSC membership.

It's safe to say, the Advocates have had both our critics and those applauding our efforts. At one point we reached 400 plus members who had signed on and up. One of the issues we agreed on was those who belonged were able to make their own decisions regarding what we felt mattered. We knew we would never agree with each other on every topic.

Our primary objectives were better transparency and holding the board and management accountable for their decisions and actions. To achieve that, we had three tools in our tool box; communication, education and participation. We created a website, a blog if you will. Having no budget left us to work on the cheap, but with lots of help, it's up and running.

I'm no techie, so most of it goes over my head. Thank goodness there are SCA members who are better versed than i am. There's a little known feature on the site where followers can ask questions. I hate to admit it, i don't even know where it is.

This morning i got an email with the following questions asked. Rather than respond to the email, i thought this was as good a place as any to post the questions along with my answers. So, without further ado, here are the questions along with my answers:
    [​IMG]
    Questions
    1. Wasn't the Lake emptied and relined about 5 yrs ago??
    Nope, back around 2010 Viewpoint Lake became an issue. The lake was "leaking" and the waters levels dropped, so much so the lake owners refused to participate in annual Christmas boat parade. They had tried earlier to seal the lake with some sort of additive, but it didn't work. The general manager worked out a deal with the State to allow a reprieve on fixing it (projected costs between 10 and 12 million dollars), arguing the water was in fact leaking back into the aquifer. That deal expired recently. The RCSC figured by fixing the lake, the AWDR would be more inclined to allow us some latitude on the 2025 5th management plan and the conversion of our courses roughs to desert landscaping. The 8 million dollar "lake fix" is a bargain, if it actually comes in at that number. We'll see.
    2. Why are the RCSCs current budget info not printed in the SunViews?
    The SunViews has become a mere shadow of its former self. The watered down version is nothing like what it used to be. That's too bad, but to my knowledge, it never did contain the financials. As mentioned in the beginning of this thread, the RCSC needs to do a far better job regarding their transparency. You can go on their website and find detailed financial here https://suncityaz.org/rcsc/financials/.
    3. Is this really the time to rebuild Mt. View..financially & materiel wise?
    Good question and one there is a multitude of answers to. The Sun City Players and other groups who would use a Performing Arts Center have waited a very long time; i would argue, too long. Unfortunately the board decided to bundle in with it an incredibly expensive project including a gym of questionable value with an indoor walking track. Adding to the frustration is taking away amenities that have been long standing. I have said bluntly, i want to see just how expensive this project is. We saw some projections stating 40 million dollars, so until we see the blueprints and then the bids to complete the project i will reserve judgment. The good news is, we have a lot of money in the PIF. The bad news is, the board tends to look at these projects with little or no regard to the costs.

eyesopen, Linda McIntyre and FYI like this.
  2. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

And isn't it interesting how, in the past, when a position on the Board became available, there was a much fairer and open procedure to fill that position rather than being selected by a Board with their own biases and agendas?

From the Minutes of the March 2009 Board Meeting:

Open Board Position: President Hoffmann encouraged members to step forward to be considered for the open Board position vacated by the resignation of Bill Johnson, due to poor health. Resumes will be accepted until April 8th. After that date the Board will meet with the candidates and will make an appointment.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    eyesopen likes this.
  3. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

So much has changed FYI, it is almost unimaginable. With the turnover Sun City has, so few know about what was. It is exactly why and how we got here. Anyone looking closely at those first 50 years would be stunned by the way the management and board ran from our history. Embracing it meant they would have kept the membership involved and engaged. The general manager hired in 2006 had no interest in that, she had an agenda and the board swallowed it hook line and sinker. It's one of the reasons i get so frustrated with your old pal, as a third generation Sun Citian, he should relish our history.

eyesopen and FYI like this.