Please explain the auto log-out that occurs

Discussion in 'TalkofSunCity.com Site Feedback' started by suncityjack, Aug 23, 2013.

1. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Sometimes when I am logged in, I go back to the web for info to post and time flies and then when I return to post info, I find I have been logged out. There must be a time limit of some sort that I don't know about. I thought it might have to do with a certain number of minutes of inactivity, but sometimes it does it in the middle of a longer posting and then I freak out thinking I lost it all, and some sort of redirect info comes on but doesn't bring me back to post I started and I have to go back to the thread and somehow I was able to retrieve most of what I wrote. Please enlighten. Thank you.

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I am often logged out when I want to google for more info.
    Sometimes I can arrow back to TOSC.
    Sometimes I can x out of where I am and get back.
    Smetimes I can minimize and get back.

3. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

time-outs should only occur when there is no activity, but other sites also time-out inappropriately. I know it's to save bandwidth charges from people who just walk away and leave the site open, but it sure is frustrating when it happens in the middle of a post. I haven't noticed it here yet for me, but I have on other sites.

4. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

I do the variety of things you suggested pegmih, but when it occurs when I've been typing a reply (sometimes it takes me awhile to get my thoughts together) and then after doing all the return gymnastics, I get back and the "reply" I had started is completely blank, so I push the button that says something about returning to saved content, but find only a portion of the paragraph is returned to me. As Cynthia says, "time-outs should only occur when there is no activity" and obviously if one is in the middle of a post, there is activity. That's why I'm hoping maybe admin can make that adjustment or at least know what is happening and may not be aware of.....

Addition: I found by trial and error that if I get logged out, it is better to log in below rather than in the top menu spot since then it doesn't totally re-route me, but still wish there would be a warning or some way of knowing before I get logged out...maybe there is and I just don't know it, so enlighten me.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. Web-guy

Web-guy Guest

I've raised the time limit from 15 to 30 minutes before it will time you out.