OMG…Too Sweet…

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Dec 13, 2022.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Votes are in and John Fast, Jean Totten and Steve Collins have all been elected.
    Damn, I love being wrong.

2. Chips

Chips New Member

Congratulations, John, Jean and Steve.

3. Carol

Carol Member

Bill thanks to you also for helping the community to see and hear what was going on. Yee of little faith you were surprised we met the quorum last year and the community just elected 3 great board members to lead us as the City of Volunteers. Congratulations to everyone who worked hard to achieve our goal. Congratulations to John, Steve and Jean!!!

4. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

The only thing that could make this even sweeter would be if Karen McAdam is voted and accepted to be president!

First they kicked her off the board but she defied them by winning a seat again, and now the cherry on top would be for her to serve as president!

I can hear heads exploding already!

Linduska, Larry, suncityjack and 3 others like this.
  5. Tom McClain

Tom McClain Member

I like Bill Pearson, enjoy being wrong. Now let's pray for a new membership oriented board, one not beholding to the GM and staff.

6. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

We are about to enter a new era with a board that respects the foundations of our community. These are exciting times and my hope is restored! Congrats to all!

LoriEllingson, Linduska and eyesopen like this.
  7. Tom McClain

Tom McClain Member

Now is the time to amend the Jan Ek Oath of Office swearing fealty to the Corporation and return the Oath of Office to fealty to the membership and remind the Board that they are First among Equals (Sun City Membership) and accountable to the Membership only not the GM and his staff.

LoriEllingson and Larry like this.
  8. Tom McClain

Tom McClain Member

The new board should refuse the Bill Cook budget and adopt a continuing budget resolution until a new budget is written that is member oriented.

LoriEllingson and Larry like this.
  9. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Let's be very clear: the new board doesn't take office till the new year. This Thursday's board meeting may well be contentious with the majority trying to force one last series of votes down the membership's throat's. While it would be disappointing, it would in fact fit into the exact reason they lost their majority status. As a good friend pointed out to me in an email last night, their arrogance is one of the things that helped bury them.

One other thing i need to say, patience is truly a virtue. I have encouraged several new board members to take it slow and engage the membership, not just imposing their will on all of us. Changes should be focused on restoring a sense of community, using committees, stimulating club support and vastly improving our communications. If we learned nothing from this election, social media can play a part.

Stay tuned, lots of work to do, but it is a process and one that should be built right and followed.

10. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

WE’ll BE LISTENING CLOSELY!
    This is the official oath the directors make at their installation, per Marcia Johnson. There is NO loyalty to the corporation as we have all heard it said!! I asked for the origin and date of this oath. Neither Marcia or Dale knew.

INSTALLATION OF NEW DIRECTORS

Members of the Board of Directors, Ladies and Gentlemen and Directors-Elect.

On behalf of the RCSC Board of Directors, I congratulate you on your election.

By electing you, , RCSC members have placed their trust in your leadership, expertise and judgment - and gratefully acknowledge your willingness to accept the responsibility of conducting the affairs of the Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc. for the next three years. As volunteers with no monetary compensation, you will be devoting much of your time to the benefit of your fellow members.

The policies the Board adopts, and the authority you delegate to the Senior Management of the Corporation, must not only reflect keeping all RCSCproperties in superb condition, but also concern for the welfare and safety of the employees, and for the quality of life of RCSC members.

During your Board tenure, you will be required to serve numerous, varying, and conflicting interests. Know from the start that you will never satisfy all those interests, despite your best efforts. Do your best and be content, knowing confidently, that you are helping us all to continue to be proud of Sun City.

Directors Elect, : Do you pledge to uphold the Articles of Incorporation, the Corporation’s Bylaws and the Board Policies to the best of your ability, and to work for the benefit of our community as a whole?

Candidates should answer “I do”

On behalf of all of us, I wish you success in this undertaking.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Carol likes this.
  11. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

I think the first and best show of the new boards intensions would be to establish some new committees and resurrect some of those lost that have been long forgotten.

A Board that will engage the Membership and seek to recruit and utilize those from within the community who have had careers and expertise in the particular field.

Revise the Bylaws with an option so that perhaps a community Member can be the Chair of a committee and only the Vice Chair is required to be a Board member. Just look at what happened when they tried to revise the Bylaws! They were so poorly written with duplications and contradictions because most on that committee were in over their heads. Just think of how much better, and fairer to the membership those Bylaws could have been if a community Member who perhaps has had actual parliamentary experience was the Chair and who understood that the corporation is in existence for the sole purpose to serve the Members! Don't get me wrong, fiduciary responsibilities are import but Del Webb didn't say let's start a community corporation to be fiduciary! It was to be created for the Members!

I'm looking forward to the new Board with optimism and excitement with a majority that's now there to serve, and not just looking for a power trip.

Just my opinion!