New Tax Bill, Ouch!

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Julianna, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Julianna

Julianna Member

Hi Everyone,
    We just got our ‘this is not a bill’ postcard from the treasure stating that our taxes went from $647 to $1149 a difference of $501. Approximately a 90% increase in one year. Mind you we haven’t done any upgrades since we bought the house in the last year. Is this normal? Feeling a little surprised never heard of taxes going up 90% in one year. (Re-Upgrades-Except for a new air conditioner).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  2. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Is this the first time you paid taxes since you bought the house? The taxes that were listed when you purchased were what the seller paid. That was based on the original price the seller paid (with yearly increases of course) Plus they may have had a price freeze because of age/income. Your new base price is computed on the county appraised value now. You’ll have the typical percent increases yearly. Also if you’re not yet an AZ resident the cost is higher.

3. Julianna

Julianna Member

Thank you Cynthia.

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

It's also higher as a rental unit (if that is how you are claiming it). That is a massive increase. There was a time when AZ only allowed percentage hikes on existing rates. Not sure if that was an age thing or not. I suspect the biggest driver was the selling price being used as the new base rate.

5. Julianna

Julianna Member

We are not renting it. Just want my parents to have a safe place to live. We just are asking them to pay their own utilities.

6. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

That really hurts then. Not sure why it was such a big increase. Seems to me they base it on the sale price of the home.