Mask or No Mask??

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by GCotten, May 31, 2020.

1. GCotten

GCotten Member

After watching the video of the May Board of Directors meeting I and possibly other RCSC members may be confused. RCSC facility reopening rules and regulations have been posted showing the 3 phase rules for being on RCSC property. We are currently in Phase 1 which as I understand requires face masks to be worn inside of all RCSC facilties. The video showed a good portion of the Board of Directors NOT wearing any kind of mask and when speaking some of the other board members would pull down their mask so their mouth was uncovered. The same thing occurred when RCSC members spoke at the podium even to include TOC members advocating mask compliance. Interesting enough all the RCSC employees and management were wearing masks and their mouths remained covered even when speaking. On one hand it appears that masks are NOT required or they are but the rule is not enforced. If the rules are enforced then there is video evidence as to to who the violators are and the proper complaints must be filed with the appropriate hearings held. If compliance is not enforced then why have the rules? Having said all of the above maybe I am just all wet and totally do not understand what is supposed to be happening.

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I don't think you are all wet Gary, watching the video of the meeting was an interesting study in human nature. I was encouraged as i watched the setup with social distancing all the way around. From board to staff to the audience, it was well structured. Theresa wiping down the lectern after every speaker was a good thing. The breakdown came as those in attendance (as you noted), pulled their masks down to speak. The reality is that when speaking is when they expel the potential for infection. To be fair, none of us or them are experts at wearing masks.

When we go out and are in public, the mask is a pain in the ass. That said, i simply remind myself of the countless numbers of nurses, doctors, police, fire fighters and others who have died because they were "essential employees" who had to remain on the job. As the numbers of sick and dead grew, they didn't have the luxury of saying no. Listening to those whine about "their rights," wearing a mask is a tiny ask compared to those who have given their lives doing their jobs.

It's nice we are opening up, but in Arizona in the past 7 days, we have over 3 thousand new cases and more than 100 deaths. We all want life to go back to "normal,' but most of us aren't interested in seeing it explode in our faces and have to go back to lock down or worse yet, have someone decide the economy is more important than losing another couple of hundreds of thousands of people. My fear is too many already are doing the math and saying "so what, they're mostly just old people who are going to die anyway."

I thought overall they did a good job yesterday. There were a few hiccups, that was to be expected. Next time they will do better. Because you are spot on Gary, if the point is to wear a mask, then by all means keep it up over your nose and mouth because ultimately the message sent by those making the decisions sets the tone for the rest of us. Leading by example is always the most effective way to get buy-in. If you don't, as we have seen, it quickly breaks down to chaos.

3. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

Refusal to wear a mask indicates a lot about the person...
    MAGA at its finest?

BPearson and carptrash like this.
  4. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Thanks IC, and I am trying to remember if I have ever seen a picture of trump with a mask on, since he is America's #1 entitled person. Also our #1 roll model for a certain portion of our population.

5. IndependentCynic

There have been some sneak pics showing him wearing a mask, but his public persona is "I'm tough, no mask,", and he keeps his distance. He's just an actor trying to play the part of a mob boss/dictator-strongman/corporate mogul. The real Donald, like lots of bullies, is (reportedly) really a scared y-cat when his legion of supporters aren't there to back him up.

carptrash likes this.
  6. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Yesterday Arizona crawled into the Top Ten states in new cases. Which is enough to keep me at home somewhat longer.

7. Say What

Say What Active Member

Masks mandatory in all rec centers at fairway today ask a person to leave because they didn't have a mask and then told another they had to cover their nose what's makes me wonder when the pools open for aerobics snot coming out of people's nose

8. IndependentCynic

And today, 6/2, we've moved into 4th place. It's hard to see how this is in line with the plan to reopen everything.

carptrash likes this.
  9. BPearson

We are going backwards but don't expect Ducey to start back peddling. In fact, several states are.

10. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Over 1,000 new cases in AZ, sort of hard to ignore. And yet . . .....................

11. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Yesterday AZ was forth among states in new cases and today is running second. Anyone want to meet at McDonalds and talk about it?

IndependentCynic likes this.
  12. IndependentCynic

Well, err... think I'll pass this time. Gen Mattis' statement was the Happy Meal I needed after reading Donnie was comparing himself to Churchill.

Meanwhile, in the CV Race -- Brazil was in the lead with 27K+ new cases yesterday, Russia is making her move, and India is looking strong. I expect in the turn the US demonstrations will swamp the numbers with new infections in a couple weeks to assure the US regains the lead going into the stretch.

13. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Yes, I would not be surprised, although I am not sure that we are approaching the stretch yet. I did see some rightist news talking heads - who still think that the social distance thing is an antifa/Soros plot - saying that this was a good test for all that and I found myself hoping that they are correct. A week or two will tell. I can't help but notice that a lot of this . . .... lack of social distance is happening in the black community, the one hardest hit by the virus.

14. GCotten

GCotten Member

CARPTRASH................just for clarification purposes to our readers please explain "black community".

15. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

"Black community," where black people are. A recent headline was, " Black Americans dying of Covid-19 at three times the rate of white people." Where those folks are is what i mean as the black community.

16. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Saw very few masks worn on our mission of important errands yesterday. Have to commend the libraries for the safe practices in getting out the requested materials! People don't understand that those wearing masks are protecting others. Only selfish and self-centered people refuse to wear one. It was hot, uncomfortable and yes a pain to remember to put the mask on & off but I do care about those around me.

Our local representatives, management teams of RCSC & SCHOA and local businesses must make the effort to show they, too, care about others.

And now Debbie Lesko wants the Republic Convention in Phoenix??? What planet is she living on?

carptrash likes this.
  17. IndependentCynic

The Trumpian one, but I think it's an assteriod, not a real planet. Thankfully she's not my representative, at least as far as I can tell by her conduct.

18. BPearson

Good spot here for me to interject a pet peeve of mine. Some of you know i spent three years on the board at SCHOA (06, 07 08). It was at a time when the organization was crumbling from within. There were some 75 plus complaints sitting on the executive directors desk and we were doing nothing with them. They claimed it was too costly to proceed. We were being ripped constantly in the two local papers as residents living next to the messes were angry and frustrated. Within 6 months of being on the board, all of the employees but one quit.

We rebuilt it from the ground up. Since then boards have done a great job of taking it to the next level. Save for one brief period where they hired an executive director who thought they were the Chamber of Commerce and their job was to promote businesses not protect residents, they've done good.

However, there is one but, and i man one very BIG BUTT. BTW, how did you all like the new community guide that came in the Independent this week? I got mine on Monday and was delighted with it, all be it 5 months late. Coincidentally i also got my SCHOA monthly newsletter the same day. Nice front page by president Hunter and then i turned to page two and damned if it didn't look and feel a promotional piece from the Republican National Committee. Pictures and commentary of Lesko and McSally with a plug for Governor Ducey. The article by our County Commissioner Clint Hickman was appropriate, he plays and integral role in what SCHOA does.

There has been a long standing history of SCHOA's relationship with the Republican party. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice to say, most of the board has leaned right, still does. I really don't care about anyone's politics. I do care with this coming election, perhaps the most contentious in our lifetime, that it appears SCHOA is taking sides. There's a good chance Arizona will have two Democratic senators; are we going to have them writing articles, have their pictures plastered all over the SCHOA website and invite them to every event SCHOA holds?

As a lifelong Democrat, i will tell you i hope not. I have no interest in using SCHOA to promote either political party. The time is right to discontinue the political promotional aspect of the organization and focus on their job at hand. They've made lots of sound choices since the rebuild, now is the time to a address the elephant in the room (pardon the pun).

carptrash likes this.
  19. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

She is (opinion) living on the "Kiss trump's ***" planet.

20. Say What

Say What Active Member

SCHOA what a joke sitting shoulder to shoulder no masks, they are a hateful bunch anyway except for 3 or 4. Must be nice to be invinsible. A reason to never join. Bunch of no it all's.