Liqueur

Discussion in 'The Sun City Kitchen & Recipes' started by pegmih, Oct 16, 2013.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

16 liqueur.jpg

Today, October 16, 2013, is National Liqueur Day.

A liqueur is an alcoholic beverage made from a distilled spirit that has been flavored with fruit, cream, herbs, spices, flowers or nuts and bottled with added sugar or other sweetener (such as high-fructose corn syrup). Liqueurs are typically quite sweet; they are usually not aged for long after the ingredients are mixed, but may have resting periods during their production to allow flavors to marry.

Liqueurs are historical descendants of herbal medicines; they were made in Italy as early as the 13th century and were often prepared by monks .

Nowadays, liqueurs are made worldwide and are served in many ways: by themselves, poured over ice, with coffee, mixed with cream or other mixers to create cocktails, etc. They are often served with or after a dessert. Liqueurs are also used in cooking.

2. Fiona

Fiona New Member

Ok Peg...I have put on 10lbs from reading your fantastic food postings hahahah. Now I am thinking Kahlua......

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Kahlua and Vodka = Black Russian

4. Ruthie

Ruthie New Member

I wish I had brought my recipe box down.....I have recipes for Kahlua, Creme de Menthe, Galiano, Anisette and Irish Cream. So good when you make it yourself!

5. Fiona

Fiona New Member

We have one Black Russian at Christmas. The stuff sits in my cupboard until the next season lol. That is unless my son in law has one or two when they visit. It is the only mixed drink I like. They tend to make me fat so I avoid them until the holiday.