Lake Pleasant - close to Sun City, AZ and a fun place for all --boating, fishing, etc

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by Anita Mae, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

100_2577.jpg Copy of 100_2570.jpg

I remember way back in the early 1970's - -Lake Pleasant was just a "Large Mud Hole".....My friends and I would drive - - which seemed far into the desert, at that time.....and take our big black inner tubes. We would just float around in the lake ---it was so fun -- no big crowds...usually it was just us there...a beautiful spot.

Lake Pleasant has changed - - it was increased - - definite signs of Man-Made...however, a very nice area for picnics, boating, fishing, swimming, camping areas around. The place has a Marina - boats are docked - restaurants - and even a charge for parking your car ! It has grown !

Times have changed -- I liked it when our black-inner-tubes were the "boat-of-choice"...
    Yet, a wonderful - place to spend a weekend.

2. gilmark

gilmark New Member

I love to go to Lake Pleasant for quiet time...but unfortunately, there is none on the weekend. Fortunately, I can go any day of the week. I love the lake when it is high and when it is low. Beautiful place.

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

My son has a boat and hosts weekends at Lake Pleasant for family and friends.
    We usually take up about 3 sites.
    One friend brings his motor home so we have our private bathroom.
    Public bathrooms can be a bit of a trek.

In the picture below, I am at the back of the boat. Think it is called the stern.

boatLakeP.jpg

4. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Beautiful Boat - Pegmih -- bet many memories are made for your son's family & friends at that wonderful lake !

5. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

You really got around when you visited.
    Next time you are in Sun City, let's get together.

6. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I am in Sun City - - all the time - - I live here -Pegmih - -
    I have lived in the area for over 24 years...AND - I call my home Sun City - -and have for the past 5 wonderful years of my Sun City Life Style -- My parents retired here in the early 70's -- it was their paradise - -now it is mine.

7. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

What's the info re: the parking and tram? A group was planning to go there and someone said it's difficult if you can't walk well or use a walker wheelchair....
    BTW, contact info for park is maricopa.gov/parks/lake_pleasant/
    phone: 928.501.1710

8. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Do some research on your question SCJack - - last time I was there --and on that "ramp" it was wide enough for wheelchairs, handi-cap O.K. ...however, it was a distance from the parking lot, then the long ramp, to the Marina. (a long walk)

Unless you really feel the need to go to the Marina.. you might be better off just to seek the beach area for a nice day at Lake Pleasant

You may need to give them a phone call. ..for info. :sneakiness:

9. suncityjack

Oh, I have called and they assure me everything is just fine so I thought maybe someone could paint a clearer pic or even show some pics. Don't get what the tram talk is about.

10. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

This was for Emily

11. SCPossecmdr

SCPossecmdr New Member

Google"Scorpion Bay Marina" for pictures of the marina and the access to it.

12. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Tram at Lake Pleasant ?

Not certain what Tram you are talking about -- must be closer to the Marina entrance....because that is a long walk -- on their side-walk from parking lot to the Marina. Not fun to walk that distance with a cooler, fishing gear -- or whatever. I have not been to That Spot for probably 7 yrs. They are always adding new features To Lake Pleasant ! Last year when I went - - parked on the beach -- where sons and our dogs all went in for a swim.... - Personally - -I liked it better
    in the 70's when it was just a muddy swimming hole and we would "swim" using our big black inner-tubes. Now -- it is just so commercial. You might just have to go on down there yourself - -and look around the area. It is a beautiful Lake !

:sneakiness:

13. suncityjack

Mystery solved. It is at Scorpion Bay as SCPossecmdr pointed me to (thx!)
    http://scorpionbaymarina.com/photos.html
    and picture 6655 shows the tram tracks,and other pics show a yellow cage thing that looks to be the tram. Looks like fun!

14. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Sounds like a winner -- Better go check it out and enjoy Lake Pleasant ! :congratulatory:
    Glad you found out all the details for your new future adventure ! !

15. wizfourfam

wizfourfam New Member

We were just there this past week on Tuesday. The tram is very small, slow and holds 4 adult people seated at one time. There is a ramp but it is very steep, may be hard to navigate unless they have special provisions for handicap transport. Also have steps, but they are narrow, open steps and quite steep to navigate. Dillons restaurant is very friendly, has a bar, outdoor and indoor seating (ate outdoors this trip). I was told at the visitors center that Dillons sometimes closes for the afternoon if they are not busy. The day we were there it was busy. I am not sure if the "beaches" have a lifeguard. While it is a beautiful area, that might be a consideration if you have children with you.

16. suncityjack

Thx for firsthand up-to-date info wizfourfam. Geez, that's not good about Dillons sometimes closing like that, but good having a heads-up on that.

17. suncityjack

Saw in Peoria's paper that Lake Pleasant will be having a program called Desert Awareness/Desert Knowledge from 2-3 on August 30, 2013 at the Visitors' Center. The ranger will discuss various issues that can impact someone visiting the desert. A $6 entry fee per vehicle. On August 31 from 2-3 there will be a talk titled Rattlesnakes of America, $6 vehicle fee too. Ranger Terry Gerber may be contacted for more info: 602 372-7460 ext. 202. There are other events too that involve kayaks and Hike and Splash, so check the website: www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_pleasant