J. C.

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by BPearson, Aug 21, 2015.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Nope, not that J. C. the other one...Jimmy Carter.

Every night we sit and watch the Nightly News on channel 12 (guess it's what you do when you get old eh?). It's almost tragic to see the never ending parade of horrors of murder, hatred and general rage that exists in this country. To top it all off, we're entering the political season and all that means is it will all get worse. Politics today is about making the other candidate or the other party look like scumbags. Most often, it just makes them all look like scumbags (IMHO).

Imagine my surprise on Thursday, Aug 20 when Lester Holt opened and closed with feel good pieces (usually they just close with one). I hate to admit it, but as I watched Jimmy Carter's press conference, a tear rolled down my cheek. Hard to imagine tear's of joy over hearing someone being diagnosed with brain cancer, but that man is inspiring.

This often lambasted as a president has gone well beyond that seat of importance, to do things most couldn't or wouldn't ever dream of doing. The Carter Center, founded in 1982, has been working near on miracles around the world. What's so amazing is the Center has been almost a mirror image of the man behind it; unassuming, quiet, dignified and with a purpose.

Last night, as Jimmy sat in front of the crowded room of reporters, one could almost feel the integrity and emotion in the room. He told them of the rapidly spreading brain cancer and that is was alright, because it was in God's hands. As he talked of being blessed with a great life and a loving wife, you could quickly come to grasp a simple philosophy of a "life well lived."

Jimmy will never go down as a great president, but this designation is far more important, more significant...he will be remembered as a great man.

It's hard to believe the parade of clowns running for the presidency these days are cut from the same cloth that Jimmy was. And then again, when you think about it, they probably aren't.

2. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

An incredible display of grace and dignity.

3. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I think he was a good president but I not going to list the reasons here. The Iranians just made him look bad during that time. Carter even tried to lead by example, installing solar panels on the roof of the White House. Ronald Reagan would later remove the panels, claiming that there was no room for an energy crisis in his administration, and that no one needed to worry about conservation.

4. Mullet

Mullet Member

President Carter was hands down the finest person to have occupied the Oval Office during my lifetime. What a great life he has lead. Especially impressive considering the temptations that come with great power.