I must have missed it

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Larry, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

I got an email from the Advocates saying a board member has to be replaced. I haven’t seen or read anything about it. Who’s leaving and why?

2. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

As far as who's leaving is yet unknown. Rumor has mentioned a name but until it's official I'm not at liberty or inclined to say.

As far as why? My personal opinion is because that person, no longer being in the majority, is simply not a team player! If my opinion is true, it's very disappointing. Board members should embrace the decisions made by the board and contribute to their being a success. My way or the highway went out in grade school.

Just one man's opinion.

3. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate, but not really surprising. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

4. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

So everyone “in the know” apparently has knowledge of what’s going on and what’s gonna happen, but won’t disclose it other than confirm it. And you are the folks that talk about transparency. Yeah, I get it.

5. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

WRONG Larry!

What part of rumor don't you understand?

I know as much as you do!

Nia N Maxwell, carptrash and eyesopen like this.
  6. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Integrity.
    Honesty.

FYI likes this.
  7. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

So why is everyone treating it as gospel and why are you saying I’m wrong?

8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Because not everybody is "in the know"!

I'm just disappointed that there's not been anything posted by the RCSC. That's who you really need to criticize for transparency!

9. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

Apparently you missed my point in the original post.

10. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I was the person how wrote the advocates piece that went out Larry. I have not seen anything from the RCSC but i know there has been some efforts to find a replacement. I know because someone asked if i might be interested. Let me be clear, it wasn’t an offer, it was an inquiry.

As i said in the email that went out, i have strong feelings about “retreads.”My hope is the board finds someone new, Growing the numbers of members involved doesn’t happen when you keep ringing back the same people. AS far as who it was, until they release the details it would only be speculation. Oddly the rumor before the election was if it didn’t go “their way,” we could lose two of them. We both know which two were saying that.

11. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

So you started the rumor and won’t tell us who contacted you about a potential vacancy or your response to their inquiry? Yeah, okay.

12. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

It's not a "rumor" the board is looking for a replacement Larry. They are in a position to find a someone to fill the open board position sometime this month. The details (we don't have) matter. The bylaws spell out how and who based on when they quit. Unless and until we know that or till they tell us, that information will dictate what they do. It's fairly easy to speculate who left based on the comments that were made during the election but naming them without an official notice isn't how i have operated on this site (or others).

Back during my 3 year term on the board (2012-214), i actively lobbied for an interactive website where members could remain up to date on information. Better yet, it would be a two-way communication tool between members and the RCSC. To say they were terrified of the idea would be an understatement. These recent events would have been the exact reasons for building a network like i was proposing.

We have a long way to go to get to that point where information is freely shared.

13. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be refreshing if they simply appointed the candidate that took 4th place, providing of course they had acquired the 100 vote minimum?

carptrash, eyesopen and BPearson like this.
  14. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

I assume the Board is taking the responsible course with this. It would be prudent to wait until an official resignation is submitted in case the individual had a change of heart. Also, it is imperative that they follow the bylaws that are currently in place. At the present, only Arizona residents who can attend 10 meetings a year and qualify for a state liquor license are eligible. We discussed this at length in our Ad Hoc committee but there were differing opinions. That, and some on the Board of Directors anticipated a legal challenge to that since our Articles of Incorporation state that all Members are equal. At this time, I do not know if that has been resolved. Regardless, the current bylaws should be followed until changed.

Janet Curry

Nia N Maxwell and eyesopen like this.
  15. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

"If a member who has accepted an office, committee assignment, or other duty finds that he is unable to perform it, he should submit his resignation. A resignation is submitted in writing, addressed to the secretary or appointing power; alternatively, it may be submitted during a meeting either orally or in writing. By submitting a resignation, the member is, in effect, requesting to be excused from a duty. The chair, on reading or announcing the resignation, can assume a motion 'that the resignation be accepted.'" RONR (12th ed.) 32:5

16. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

ARTICLE V - BOARD OF DIRECTORS, SECTION 4: LENGTH OF TERMS AND VACANCIES
    B. The candidate receiving the highest number of votes, after the three (3) three-year terms are filled, shall fill the next longest vacant term.

17. eyesopen

The board can appoint anyone who is “a member in good standing,” when a director resigns. In an executive session, they determine any additional criteria. The decision is completed by majority vote.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  18. eyesopen

This bylaw applies to a candidate, someone not already a director (unless their current term is expiring and they are running for re-election).
    The bylaw references procedure for a partial term vacancy available in an annual election, due to a previous director resignation with a temporary appointment.
    Whomever is appointed to fill this current vacancy will only serve the remainder of this director’s term which was 2021 - 2023. They will need to declare their election candidacy if they choose to become an elected director after serving the one year appointment.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  19. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I think the key is still the unknown. What we don't know is when the resignation was offered. Was it once the results of the election was known? Was it still in 2022? Or was it after the new directors were installed?

BPearson likes this.
  20. eyesopen

It does not matter when an existing director whose three year term has not expired resigns.

In this situation the director’s term is/was 21 - 23. Upon resignation, the acting board by majority vote appoints “a member in good standing” to fill the remaining term.

In this case, it is one year, through Dec. 31, 2023.

If this director resigned before Jan. 1, 2023, the 2022 board would have made the appointment.

A board year is January 1 through Dec. 31.
    RCSC Press Release

2023 RCSC Board Officers Announced
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    The RCSC Board of Directors have selected the following to serve as officers for 2023: President: John Nowakowski Vice President: Steve Collins Secretary: Jean Totten Treasurer: John Fast