How about that rain last night?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jul 26, 2022.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

My old friend Peg lobbied for something other than golf. My apologies for focusing on one of the most important issues facing Sun City these days, but alas, here's an opportunity to vent/share a topic we all can share in. Last night's rain.

Let's face it, we don't get much rain here in the West Valley, clearly the East Valley gets hit much harder than we do. For me, that's a good thing. I hate rain. Not as much as snow, but when we first moved here and i was busy playing my life away between golf and lawn bowling, i resented seeing those black clouds blowing in.

One of the joys of coming to Arizona was the perpetual sunshine. Other than the ever so rare 100 year floods, we simply don't get much rainfall. Last night, it came down pretty good at our house in phase 2. The pool didn't overflow, but it did raise the water levels, a bit.

Don't remember. last year or the year before, we got so much we had to turn on the overflow valve from the pump and drain a good 6 inches. The water was creeping over the top unto the travertine tile surround. Nothing even remotely close yet this year.

Speaking of which, anyone paying attention to the lake levels at Viewpoint Lake? Between seepage, evaporation and not putting any water back in, it is dropping quickly. I got a private message from a resident/member who thought it would be cool to document the progress using his drone. He made a request from the RCSC to do so and was told no, it would be a violation of some board policy or something. Go figure.

FYI, eyesopen and Linda McIntyre like this.
  2. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

Seriously, Bill. Wouldn't you think RCSC would appreciate the drone footage for historical purposes. Maybe In-Focus could get permission. You just have to wonder.

eyesopen likes this.
  3. BPearson

I was stunned when i read the message regarding the denial. And yes, i would have expected they would be delighted; but the we know how they feel about history.

Linda McIntyre likes this.
  4. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

And any Member suggestion, automatic, “NO!”

5. Linda McIntyre

6. Linda McIntyre

Sometimes their "no" is so quick, and sometimes when a member asks for information, they are just ignored! A perfect world for those in charge.

eyesopen likes this.
  7. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Active Member

They probably don't want any competition for their video shoots. The drone would have made perfect sense for the historical story of Sun City.

FYI likes this.
  8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

So are you now telling me that the RCSC has control over the airspace?

So much for the FAA!

eyesopen likes this.
  9. fixj

fixj Active Member

Yes the RCSC likely does have control over the air space on their property, subject to FAA and other government agencies such as USAF.

10. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I can't figure out how to post.
    Question. Can outsiders use all the facilities, clubs, etc. in Sun City?
    I have to pay for a guest punch card when someone is here.
    How is golf different?

11. BPearson

I can't figure out how to post.
    Answer: You just did. Do you mean starting a new thread?
    Question. Can outsiders use all the facilities, clubs, etc. in Sun City?
    Answer: Yes with a punch card and with a member of the RCSC as their guest (in most instances).
    I have to pay for a guest punch card when someone is here.
    Answer: The cost for a punch card is $2.50 per day, more expensive than we pay as a daily rate.
    How is golf different?
    Answer: Outsiders can golf, but the rate for a round is set $2 more than residents (like a punch card). The problem was they started selling full play non-resident golf passes that resulted in those outsiders paying less for golf than the residents. Imagine being able to buy a pass to bring a friend and they were only paying a dollar a day.

12. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

My understanding is a drone can fly over private property so long as it doesn't interfere with the property owner performing the intended use of the property. It's hard to conceive how a drone could interfere in this case. I doubt the RCSC position of "No" is based on anything that would survive a court challenge.

BPearson likes this.
  13. BPearson

I found it curious as well IC. I know there was an incident with a drone flying over the Sun Bowl and the RCSC was able to stop that. No idea why they would want to. If i followed the comments made by the pilot of the drone, the RCSC told him if he did he would be violating a board policy or bylaw and could bring him in before the board. Why anyone would care is beyond me. I thought i would be cool to see the progression as the process unfolded.

14. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I just find it pretty darn arrogant for management to even consider such a rule? I've already seen videos of a drone flying over Viewpoint lake on other websites, not to mention many real estate agencies use drone flyovers to display a property sale!

Geez, they want to control every aspect of our lives and they're doing a pretty good job!

15. IndependentCynic

I guess the Sun Bowl situation could be a copyright violation (by the performing group) if drone is recording or transmitting audio/video of a performance, or possibly considered a safety hazard by the RCSC (if it malfunctions). However, I live some distance from the SB and all I have to do to listen to most performances is open my front door. If I recorded that I believe the RCSC would have no authority to regulate me doing so. (Not to worry, though -- the door gets closed and the TV turned up to drownd out what I mostly consider noise).

The lake is entirely different in my mind. I don't think the RCSC has the authority to regulate drones above their property -- AFAIK, that's the FAA, Maricopa County, and Az legislature's job. I suppose they can regulate you not operating a drone while on RCSC property, but there's plenty of homeowners on the lake that would let you do it from their property. More importantly, why would the RCSC care (other than the apparent fear that "any" record of their actions which they don't control is undesirable)? Are they regulating lakeside property owners taking pictures/video? I hope not -- cuz I'd consider that a major overreach of their authority. Sadly, overreach is often their middle name, however.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  16. fixj

fixj Active Member

Air rights are an appurtenance to real property ownership. Exceptions to air rights would be made for commercial airlines, military, police and fire.
    Flying over someone’s property is usually limited to a minimum of 1000 feet.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  17. BPearson

When it comes to drones, i know nothing; so anything you say is way more than i know. If i were a home owner living on the lake i would be taking video on a regular basis. This is a monumental process and it should be recorded for a historical purpose. Hopefully the RCSC will be doing just that. We'll see.

18. IndependentCynic

ARS 13-3729 is the controlling statute in AZ, I believe. My take is that as long as no FAA regulation is violated (eg, restricted airspace, interfere with police, rescue, etc.) and the drone remains below 400ft and in line of sight with the operator it's deemed a recreational flight. Of course, I don't know the detailed facts, but if this is a small (under 55-lbs) drone not used for commercial purposes it should be legal. All that said, just because it's legal doesn't mean the RCSC can't take action -- it's an autocracy that has in the past taken punitive actions against members who "offended" another member in some way -- so if the RCSC decides to take action against the drone operator their decision is pretty much final. Welcome to RCSC fascism.

19. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Because this fixing of the leaky lake is such a historic event, wouldn't it be nice if the RCSC website actually had live camera view?

20. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    FYI likes this.