HOA and Painters

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Julianna, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Julianna

Julianna Member

Hello
    I had read that the HOA vetts businesses for higher. But from some reason I thought I had also read that you could be added to their list or maybe it was just advertise in the newsletter if you make a 100 dollar donation. Could someone clarify this for me please. We are looking for an indoor painter (yes our house came with lovely colors of lavendar blue and terracotta walls). Mom and Dad are looking at moving in in the next couple of months. Thank You!

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Becoming a business partner has some vetting, but it is a process where those applying have to submit names of "satisfied" customers. It used to be three and for all practical purposes, the good ones could do that, no problem. I'm probably the last person that should be answering this question because as much a s i love what SCHOA does, the business partner program wasn't one of my favorite aspects. We used one of their contractors who stuck it to us and they did nothing about them.

There is a rest of the story though. The newly elected board, as of 2018, came on and quickly realized the shortcomings of the general managers goal of turning them into the chamber of commerce and tried to instill a purpose of a higher order. Compliance was always at the heart of what they did and more importantly saw a program where it took two members to get screwed being a bit shortsighted. When they tried to rearrange the priorities of the organization the GM elected to move on.

If you are a member of SCHOA, they will supply you with 3 names of painters (in this case). There is no guarantee they will be cheaper or better than others. The good news is if there is a dispute, they will intervene. The other alternative is for word of mouth from those living here sharing who they have had good success with.

Perhaps one of the TOSC posters has recently had good luck with a painter. Our last inside paint job was 3 threes ago and for some contractors, that is a lifetime. Turnover for contractors can make or break them.

3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

The January Newsletter is up on the Sun City Home Owners Association(SCHOA) website: https://www.suncityhoa.org/. If you go to their site you can find lots of information to familiarize yourself with Sun City as a homeowner. This information would also benefit your parents who will be residents. The cost of membership in SCHOA is a mere $20 per year per household and you can sign up online. If your home is part of a condo association the membership to SCHOA usually isn't included in their assessment.