Guard your garage openers!

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by aggie, Jan 25, 2018.

1. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

This is just a reminder to keep your garage opener in a safe place. Never leave it in an unsecured location such as in a golf cart or unlocked car. Take your opener in the house if you have your vehicle parked outside overnight. Better yet, keep your opener with you if you are anywhere for a period of time where your car is unattended locked or otherwise. Once a thief has your opener he needs only to look at your vehicle registration to see where you live.

If you lose a garage opener it's best to change the frequency codes immediately!

CMartinez likes this.
  2. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

What a great reminder to everyone who might want the convenience of quick access, but forget about the safety of their home and property.

3. SCR

SCR Active Member

Although the reminder is good, there are a couple of things you should consider.
    1. Keep your registration in your wallet - not your vehicle. I know AZ requires you to have the registration in the vehicle, but if it is in your wallet (or purse) while you are in the vehicle, technically it is in the vehicle. Leaving the registration in the vehicle is a security concern.
    2. Get a Liftmaster Universal Keychain Remote. With the keychain remote, the remote goes with you when you remove your keys from the vehicle.

4. Adam560

Adam560 Member

Here is another thought. Make sure you always lock the door leading from the garage into the house. That way, if you lose your opener, they can get into the garage but entry into the house is made extremely difficult.

Take a look at the door from the garage into the house. On the hinge side of the door frame there may be 2 pins that fit into 2 holes on the edge of the door. This will keep the door from being removed from the frame, even if the hinge pins are removed. If you don't have these pins, you might consider having them installed. It is a simple process.

5. Dlanor

Dlanor New Member

I experienced this firsthand the first week I lived here.
    Someone broke into my car that was parked outside while moving in and stole the garage door opener .
    Lucky I found out right away when I awoke to an open Garage door (nothing to steal yet) the next morning and changed the code.
    And YES....they also stole my Registration and Insurance Card. Didn't see the connection until reading this post. Thanks !

The man at True Value hardware says its a significant ongoing problem.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018