Fraud

Discussion in 'Sun City Sheriff's Posse - Arizona' started by pegmih, May 11, 2013.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

My bank called me 3 times one day last week.
    I thought it was a scam and hung up each time.

Then I went to my bank. Guess what, not a scam.

Someone had used my credit card.
    Over $100 at one store. Another charge of only $1.
    I was told card was being "tested" the second time.
    I had not been to the first store in 5 years and have never charged $1.
    I check my account online every day and those charges did not show up.
    The bank thought the charges were suspicious and consequently the call.

That credit card has been closed & a new one issued.
    Until it arrives I will not have a card. How will I ever survive? Cash maybe? Ugh!

In the future I will still not give answers over the telephone but will go directly to bank.

I have notified the Posse.

2. bmac007

bmac007 Member

terrible.... notifying the Posse is the right thing to do so if more people let them know they can get to the bottom of it... I don't answer anything that anyone calls me about.. if anyone calls you and asks for address, info, ss#, DOB etc I hang up on them... sad but true... sorry that happened to you..

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

After a bit of research, I have determined my credit card was used over the internet.
    I had my credit card and my signature is very weird.

4. Ken

Ken Administrator

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this.

5. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Last Friday the bank said I could get new credit card in 3 days for $15. Othrwise it would be 7-10 days.
    I did not want to pay $15.

Guess what? It arrived yesterday! I activated it and used it today. It worked!

Hopefully you go on line and check your credit card purchases.
    I saw that items purchased in Arizona ended with AZ
    Walmart is AR and newspaper is NV.

Never noticed that before. The bank caught problem because there was eastern state.

6. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Actually, the Walmart item was interesting because I had placed an order (very small - photos) over the internet that did not reach my credit card for a week. I suspect that was the problem.

However, I will not be scared off by these bad people. May they RIP!

The banks/stores seem to be on top of the situation. Unfortunately the bad guys usually don't get caught.

7. Fiona

Fiona New Member

We had used our cards on a trip to Florida and 3 mos later got call from a computer company selling Dell Computers wanting to verify the address to ship the 3 laptops we ordered....we were in northern CA at the time and the order was for an abandonded building in Riverside....pfttt. So happy the guy called us. You never know these days...and how sad is that?

The other common scam here in Sun City is the people who will tell you you need a new roof. They just show up and want to inspect. Our neighbor had a guy come and tell him he needed the entire roof replaced so he asked my husband to go up on the roof to see what he could see. My husband should not be up on a ladder let alone a roof but up he went. The roof was in better shape than ours lol. The roof guy quoted our neighbor $10,000. Be careful who you use here.

8. bmac007

bmac007 Member

In this case... maybe posting that company on this site in the "Contractors and services" section under Sun City Arizona will help people know who is trying to rip off people like this.... I am sure that section will grow with good folks like yourself...

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013