Establishing My Credentials...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Mar 21, 2020.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

We are less than a week into the new normal and suffice to say, it is different from the lives we all enjoyed just months ago. Virtually everything has changed (except for golfers, you know how important that revenue is eh?).
    I know, snarky on my part but don't you find it just a little bit odd?

Makes no matter, because it is what it is and we just need to learn from it. That's the beauty of history, it is an ever present option to use at our discretion, to grow as a person, as a community and as a country. I long ago learned the value of introspection. To peel back the layers and see if we can do it better.

This site has been around for years. Participation has always been limited. It's the nature of blogs and forums. Unless you are controversial and willing to stir the pot and create chaos, sites tend to become sounding boards for the few. Again, given what we try and do here, it goes with the territory.

The other day, a new poster said this about several of the more regular posters: "You can jam so much history and negativity about the board day after day." I had to smile, without checking i suspect over the years i started several hundred threads (maybe more). A good number of them were about why Sun City was the most unique option for so many potential seniors looking for their place in the sun.

We have also spoken out when we were concerned about the direction the RCSC was taking. Concerned as the control was changed from community based to corporation based. We didn't just say it, we backed up those changes from historical data and with information.

My guess is, the comments regarding using history were troubling because it wasn't just our opinions, but fact-based. I know facts are a bugger when you have an agenda where you want to ignore the history and just do what works best for you, but this community was the first of it's kind. It was built on trial and error. In spite of those miscues, it not only survived, it flourished. Those who built it had thick skins and understood ownership wasn't just about DEVCO but also those willing to participate.

I will break this and come right back with more thoughts.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. BPearson

As this COVID19 nightmare drags on, we all are struggling to find some sense of regularity. Those still working have some footings grounded in a day to day structure. Those of us retired are less likely to feel the same comfort of living the lives we used to. Being honest, i need structure, i need regularity, i need some discipline in my daily routines. We moved here because Sun City offered all of that and more. It was an amazing opportunity to retire and still stay in the game (which is how Sun City has been described almost since its opening in 1960). Whether it was the clubs, the volunteer opportunities or the options to push ourselves physically, we enjoyed an endless array of stuff to do. Now it's all gone.

Nope, not blaming anyone, it is what we need to do as a society to get our arms and heads around the virus. That said, i find writing cathartic. It's why as long as we are holed up and life appears pointless, i will start anew with starting new threads steeped in our history. We know we get lots of visitors who read and don't post. We know with the new normal, people are spending more time on line, looking for things to read. If you are like me, i have had my fill of corona virus articles and the never ending political crap.

However, before i begin, i want to establish my credentials. It may sound like bragging; it's not. The one thing we know from Sun City history is the community has been filled by stories of people who have done 10-fold what i have done. It's just so those who may have come to the party late, or are considering Sun City as an option as they near retirement know i'm not flying by the seat of my pants. I'm not special or better than anyone; oddly we came to Sun City in part because we knew the community was based on taking ownership and giving back. In my previous work life, i had the good fortune to develop skills comparable to helping grow on the successes we were built on.

With that out of the way, i will touch on what i have been fortunate enough to do since we moved permanently to Sun City in 2003:
    1). Immediately volunteered at the Sun City Visitor Center and served on their board (at that time they were a free-standing organization, not part of the RCSC).
    2). Served three years at the Sun City Home Owners Association (SCHOA). Shortly after getting there several of us saw the organization in complete disarray and we rebuilt it from the ground up.
    3). Played an active role on the 50th anniversary committee and wrote all of the articles for the two newspapers in Sun City.
    4). Became a member of the Sun City Historical Society and served three years on their board, two years as president. In 2010 we changed the signage on the front of it to the Del Webb Sun Cities Museum.
    5). Served on the RCSC board of Directors for three years.
    6). In conjunction with the board, served as the chairman of the Sun City Foundation.
    7). Went back to the Del Webb Sun Cities Museum and am currently on the board there.
    8). Wrote two magazines for SCHOA and three for the RCSC. I didn't do the layout and design, i suck at that.
    9). I have served on numerous committees and various clubs as an officer for SCHOA, the RCSC and the museum.
    10). There's tons of other little things i have been a part of, but of no consequence to this discourse. The point is, staying busy was easy and why we moved here.

3. BPearson

Finally, for those who are new to Sun City or looking for their place in the sun, last summer in the lead-up to the museum's grand opening of the new addition, i wrote this 19 piece article on the Del Webb and the history of Sun City. It was one of the most satisfying things i have done and is an awesome read for anyone trying to better understand how the community was built and why it succeeded. I know a number of you have read it, but you can find it here if you haven't.

Last Sunday on March 15 i was supposed to be the keynote speaker at the POSSE open house. It was cancelled at the last minute by Maricopa County and i was excited to be approaching the presentation from this perspective: Sun City Arizona: The Community That Changed The Nation. Our history is that compelling, the story behind it impacted this country in ways most people are clueless about.

Watch for new threads several times each week. History does matter.

4. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

Yes, fact-based! In today's culture that's become a rare commodity, especially for those that only get their "facts" from sources that are notoriously "loose" with the truth, or leave out half the story, or just outright lie. A significant portion of our citizenry are taking this less than accurate info as the gospel, and once that happens they defend it no matter what. To get someone to change their mind about something requires them to admit they're wrong -- and that's a tall order today, facts or not. It wasn't that way when I was younger -- truth was more respected -- there were truth in advertising laws, equal time laws for political discourse in the media, anti-trust laws to prevent rich corporations from creating monopolistic control, etc. It was far from perfect, but it kept us from being the fascist nation we are becoming.

Criticism is needed to motivate change, so keep doing what you're doing, Bill! Ignore the critics with baseless claims -- let them starve for lack of attention.

5. BPearson

You know IC the older we get the less i care about how people feel about me. I learned a long time ago from a program that saved my life: "to thine own self be true." I try and be less confrontational and more genteel but ultimately trying to reposition the chairs on the Titanic is a losing effort. One of the reasons Say What dislikes our history is it bites him/her in the butt whenever it's used to make a point.

You remember years back we posted the series on how the RCSC was abandoning the tenets the community was founded under. It was tough to look at, impossible to argue against. We posted the actual changes in community documents. What made it so difficult for me was i knew the history, the struggles, the battles and the infighting to create those near perfect documents that forged a reasonable set of standards where the community and the RCSC had shared responsibilities in insuring Sun City stay special, unique.

It all changed with the seat of power in the hands of management and a board complicit in letting it happen. I guess if i was in Say What's shoes i would hate history as well. I'm not and i love the fact we fought for 40 plus years to stay free of incorporation; a dozen years to finally be invited to leave the Peoria school district, eight years to resolve the "min-Berlin wall." After DEVCO left the internal challenges within the community to move forward or stay the course. Our history is filled with incredible stories of accomplishments and failures, of heartbreak and the joys of finding a community that residents loved.

My goal is to insure people never forget any of it. The good, the bad and the ugly are all part and parcel of what makes us unique. When we understand why and how, Sun City becomes even more special. When we appreciate our roots, there's a better chance of residents taking ownership, being willing to give back. So many stories, so little time...well other than now when time and little else to do allows me an opportunity to revisit our ever so luxurious past.

6. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Once again I can't figure out how to do a new post.
    My question:
    Is Frys (107/Grand) now offering FREE HOME DELIVERY?

7. BPearson

When you open the link for Sun City General Discussions you will see a blue highlighted box in the upper right hand corner of your screen that says Post New Threads. Click on it and it will open to a page where you can start a new thread. No idea if Fry's is home delivering, but it would be a smart move on their part. You might want to check the Fry's website to see if you can search local community stores and what they are doing.

carptrash likes this.