Electronic Devices to keep your home safe...inexpensive - for Home Security

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by Anita Mae, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I saw this information info on Inside Edition - - 7-18-2013
    Thought I would share concerning Home Security Devices.

http://www.insideedition.com/consumer/6675-inexpensive-ways-to-protect-your-home

Insideedition.com for more.

An electronic door wedge screams out noise if the door is opened.

A security camera that is actually a fake and velcroed to the house.

Another device you put on your floor is an electronic watchdog with a threatening bark.

A flashing light device that looks as if your TV is on.

These ideas all appeared pretty good to me --
    I have a friend that has a "Barking Dog Watchdog" that she likes however,
    it also barks everytime she walks around the area in her home...

Any other ideas ya'll have heard of ?

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

real security cameras. They are worth the investment and once you have them you love them. I can see all around my property in one glance...even the little animals running around out there that make my dogs bark.

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

When any of my doors open (kitchen to garage, front door, back slider) there is a beep, beep, beep.
    It drives workmen crazy.

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

key

I came up with a plan this morning.

I am going to keep my house key/s in my neighbors courtyard
    and she is going to keep her key in my courtyard.

Good idea?

She bought one of those "rocks" that hold a key and I will get one too.

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

You don't have one of those lock boxes?

6. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

We both have lock boxes but they are only accessible by the Fire Department or maybe Emergency vehicles.
    I called the Fire Department and was told they do not come out if someone is locked out.
    Just for emergencies.

7. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Does anyone have one of those Barking Dog Devices and or Appears that someone is home T.V ---Both are electric devices for HOME SECURITY.

8. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Agree Cynthia - - for home security - - the real thing would be best..
    It probably makes you feel safer to be able to see who or what is exactly around your property !!.. right ?

And nothing is safer than The Real Thing: aka: A real dog ! I have a Black Lab - my companion, friend and protection.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  9. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

At dinner tonight I mentioned about my neighbor being locked out of her house.
    My son suggested getting a programed garage door opener. You know the buttons beside the door.
    Then if you are locked out you can still open the garage door.
    Also, if the door to the house is locked, hide a key somewhere in the garage.

He has offerred to install the system for me and for my neighbor.
    Such a sweet boy.

He offered this even before he found out I was paying for dinner - Black Angus.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  10. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

That's a good idea. Any idea what the charges would be for the item and the install? Also, please be careful folks when discussing your security secrets--not all eyes viewing our exchanges are necessarily friends....

11. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Garage door button opener.
    Son said they cost around $20-$30/
    He will install free for me and my neighbor will probably give him something.

I have a small dog that sets up quite a ruckus when someone comes near my door.

I also have a security system and a motion light.

12. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Thx. I had a motion light but the danged thing kept going on and off with breezes and sometimes would stay on so it became a nuisance. Monkeyed with the sensitivity settings and repositioned, etc., but no go, so for those considering installing for those motion deals, do better homework than I obviously did.

13. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I also had motion lights -- two in my front and one in my back -- in Peoria... My back light was always triggered off by my cat that lived in the back-yard..so I shut it off.

I loved my front motion lights...one by the garage --the other at front door... They are a nice device... and agree..
    any wind blowing my tree leaves would trigger them off... so sometimes o.k. -- some not .