Does the data and trends support the cost to build a Sun City theater?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by John Fast, May 19, 2024.

1. John Fast

John Fast Well-Known Member

Sure looks that way to me...

Linduska and Janet Curry like this.
  2. Tom Trepanier

Tom Trepanier Well-Known Member

Well sure! But remember most of the members of SAC represented special interest groups. And the BOD thought this composition of people would work. And personally I thought Plan M they developed would work, with possible modifications to be considered.

Linduska, eyesopen and Janet Curry like this.
  3. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

4. jeb

jeb Well-Known Member

I'm not opposed giving Special Interest Groups a seat at the table and a chance to talk. But without data or evidence, their opinion doesn't carry any more weight than anyone else's. So if the Players Club, after all these years, can't generate (with all/any other performance groups) a cohesive, data based argument for a new theater, then we shouldn't be building one. As has been mentioned: utilization says audience's under 300 and drastically declining club size.

I've seen data supporting more pickleball courts. But if the club wants a building, then they need to provide, again, a solid, data based, cohesive report showing (at least) potential usage based on similar buildings across the Southwest and a justification of cost vs value to the community as a whole.

I've seen survey results identifying Member's other priorities - which are being ignored while PAC, Thunderbird building and our least used golf course are having time and money spent on them.

My humble opinion is the current Board is off course. I'm anxiously awaiting the committees' long term plans. Maybe that will give sensible people something to rally around??

eyesopen and Janet Curry like this.
  5. John Fast

Jeb, I agree with all you said and cannot see why development of a long range plan is being done without general member input.

Enigma and Janet Curry like this.
  6. jeb

jeb Well-Known Member

I hate to go on rumors - but it's my understanding the Long Range Planning Committee has taken input from, at least, Survey, SAC, and Townhalls and are consolidating it. If that is indeed the case, I'm not sure how to garner more General Member input. At some point, the small group of people have to stop listening and start writing, no? People on the LRPC (and Budget/Fin?) help me out here - is that the process? and are we overdue for the report?

Janet Curry and eyesopen like this.
  7. John Fast

Good points all Jeb. When I was on the Board (several centuries ago) I asked for a draft policy & report by March. My thought was that could be a trial balloon for members to comment on. To tell you the truth I was in favor of hiring it out as I knew it would be a hot potato item and I didn't feel we had the in house expertise to do it justice. Just an opinion. I am guessing here, which is all I can do without information, but somehow I think a comprehensive proposal will be unveiled sometime. The comprehensive proposal may include a five year operating forecast, results of the reserve study and a five year capital projects forecast. We will see if the hows and whys are explained. I pointed out the existence and availability of another communities plan so folks could see what one looked like.

Janet Curry, jeb and eyesopen like this.
  8. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

9. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

Again. First of all this is Sun City. For those that still live here it doesn't matter what Sun City West does or does not do. Why you are posting SCW info is baffling. How do you know how much they pay in CC fees but not how much we pay? Are they that much more transparent with their residents? I remember one member spoke to the cashless move here as the dumbing down of America. The members do not want it. They would like to have a choice, however as usual the board does not work on behalf of the members.

That being said now that we are being forced to use credit cards, when the fee goes up drastically for the cc fees to RCSC any bets on how soon the charges will be passed on to the residents? Something to think about.

10. John Fast

Janet Curry likes this.
  11. SCR

SCR Active Member

It seems to me that data statistics always tend to rely on the number of members in a club.

in my opinion, that is not how you monitor usage of an amenity. Electronic data collection must be used to
    track users entering an amenity and leaving an amenity to get the real numbers.
    A club or group saying we have over 300 members is not a reliable way to monitor usage. You will never
    get all the members of a group using a facility at the same time. Summer usage statistics all skew the
    usage results.

12. John Fast

SCR - I have always argued that the best way to measure usage and utilization is by member activity hours which is exactly what you propose. Seasonality (the summer) is a difficult nut to crack. Do you keep everything open for its regular hours or do you cut back on hours? Should one or more recreation centers be closed during the summer? It seems there should be a way to save some money during this slow period.

13. jeb

jeb Well-Known Member

SCR I agree. Here is the SAC page - scroll down to find the Utilization Study pdf.
    https://suncityaz.org/rcsc/strategic-alternatives-ad-hoc-committee-sac/

14. Tom Trepanier

Enigma, eyesopen and Janet Curry like this.
  15. jeb

jeb Well-Known Member

Hard to answer what drove us to this point. Which is why some people drop jaw at idea we continue to purchase more property. I can't find the quote but I believe John said simply "we don't have space problem, we have scheduling problem."
    Having said that - it would be nice to get more 'out of the box' ideas for what we do have now. For example, this Fitness Center Fan nonsense and the one size fits all down your throat solution? How about having different atmospheric conditions at different Rec Centers? How about letting the Dog people use one of the big golf cart barns, which are sitting empty all day? Someone mentioned having Quail Run trend towards a hacker course and not fund it like the PGA Tour was going to be held there - which might also lessen the wear/tear and congestion on the other courses. I like that people keep saying Mountain View and Fairway should NOT have duplicate amenities. Could same be true of any two proximal centers?

16. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

Regarding the fans at the fitness centers: How many remotes were actually lost or destroyed? How much does it cost to replace them? The whole idea of taking them away seems silly to me. Data, please!

eyesopen, Tom Trepanier and FYI like this.
  17. Tom Trepanier

I have been led to believe management is trying to find as many ways possible to upset the MEMBERS.

18. jeb

jeb Well-Known Member

I started new thread about fitness fan policy.

19. John Fast

Despite the dismal data for live theater attendance, RCSC will push forward designing a 350 seat special purpose theater. I can't understand the logic on this one. Perhaps its like the indoor dog training facility, certain board members want it so that is what we will get.

20. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

As we found out at yesterday's Exchange meeting, apparently the Mountain View building has already gone to the dogs!