Did They Listen...Did They Hear Us?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jan 4, 2022.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Suffice to say, last year in Sun City was fraught with challenges for the RCSC. Starting with the firing of Karen McAdam, things went downhill from there. The board hoped the anger would die down come September, but just the opposite happened.

That first board meeting in September saw a true shitstorm hit them smack dab in the face and they responded about as poorly as was humanly possible. As the crowd grew, their reaction was to get up and walk out on us. The board, to add to their woes, had three off-duty police officers in attendance who kept threatening to arrest us if we didn't vacate the premises. Not very smart.

Newly named general manager Bill Cook finally relented and let us stay in our building if we would behave. At the conclusion of the gathering members were visibly upset. I'd like to tell you it got better as the months passed, but that would be a lie. Stuff was percolating up as the board election brought us some interesting options.

As the year ended, we heard about the Viewpoint lake problems with fixes that were pricey, the monstrous investment of 40 million dollars at Mountainview and the AWR mandates on the golf courses to convert to desert landscaping on the roughs to the tune of 20 million large. Dang, we didn't even mention the 4 million for the golf storage shed.

Then to make matters worse (for the board), Karen McAdam was re-elected by the largest vote for a board member in years. Three times a Sun City resident requested a recall petition for Sue Wilson and was denied repeatedly as they made up crap to justify their actions. The final straw, or should i say nail in their coffin was the membership meeting they didn't want to hold that was shoved down their throat (due to state statutes) and horror of horrors, we met their lofty quorum requirements. The first time that has happened since 2009.

And, lets not forget, the membership meeting that somehow they "lost" the first hour plus recording of. Technical snafu or something like that. Saying it wreaks would be an injustice to wreakers' everywhere.

What's the point of restating all of this misery? Well, today, January 4 of 2022 was the day the board picked their new officers. The expectation was that Dale Lehr would become the president. The big question would be; who would be named the officers along with her? Whomever they elect, will speak volumes as to whether they heard a word we said...or even if they give a damn?

We' ll see eh? Will they set the stage for a better 2022 or will it be more of the same? The one thing i can promise you all is we aren't going away. In fact, there are some very cool things coming should they want the ugliness to continue.

2. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Well, just received the results of the election:

President: Dale Lehrer
    Vice President: Mike Ege
    Secretary: Allan Lenefsky
    Treasurer: Darla Atkins

Looks like nothing has really changed from last year and it's time to lock and load for another tumultuous, shit-show year.

Nia N Maxwell and eyesopen like this.
  3. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

I am disappointed, especially concerned with Akins as treasurer!!

The RCSC Board of Directors have selected the following to serve as officers for 2022:
    • President: Dale Lehrer
    • Vice President: Michael Ege
    • Secretary: Allan Lenefsky
    • Treasurer: Darla Akins
    Committee Chairs, Co-Chairs and Community Liaison appointments for 2022 will be announced later this week.

https://mailchi.mp/983c8530b904/rcsc-board-officers-for-2022-announced?e=f18f779945

Nia N Maxwell likes this.
  4. 3cavkings

3cavkings New Member

Are we allowed to ask what the votes were for officers at the next meeting or is that privileged?

5. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Add Sue Wilson to that list and you have 5...a majority!

Looks like they're doubling-down which means we must do the same. Time to close ranks and establish a game plan!

eyesopen likes this.
  6. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

They will simply tell you that the election was held in executive session and no, they won't tell you!

eyesopen likes this.
  7. BPearson

Was it in fact an "executive session?" Not sure electing officers falls under one of the categories as defined by law.

Anyway, now we know where this sits today. And i mean exactly that. Today is one thing, next Monday is wholly another. The board room has always been their "safe place." It's where they can hide from the glare of exposure and do what they do with no push back. The minority has to sit in silence and watch as they manipulate outcomes. All of that disappears once the camera starts rolling at the Sun Dial auditorium (assuming someone remembers to turn them on).

I can promise the board (new and old), this will be a year like no other. We aren't going away. We will become more vocal, grow the circle and build a network of members who love Sun City and refuse to let it be compromised the way it has been the past 15 years continue. I know, several of those serving on the board think it will all quiet down and go away. It won't and your actions (the boards) will dictate the ebb and flow between now and the next election cycle in November.

It's pretty simple, work with us or we will take our documents and create a setting where you will lose any control you think you have. If you can't get your head around that, you better start doing a deeper dive on the Articles of Incorporation. The answer is there and we are willing and able to make it work exactly like the founders intended it to.

8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Although it's quite unusual for the election of officers to take place in executive session, it is one of the RCSC bylaws, (Article VI, §2):

"The Board shall meet in a closed Executive session on the first business day after January 1 for election of Officers. The Board shall select from their own number, by majority ballot vote of the Board (5), the Officers who shall serve for the term of one year to end at the election of Officers in the following year. A Board of Director may be re-elected to consecutive terms as an Officer if he/she receives the majority vote of the Board (5)."

I think it's a perfect example of the old adage, "You don't want to know how the sausage is made!" There were no doubt some power-moves and back-stabs that will come back to haunt those who screwed the others, which means the new board is by no means all on the same page. There will most likely be much in-fighting among the board members as well as the flak that will be coming from the Membership.

I wouldn't expect a board that's contentious from within will get much accomplished. I agree with others that the board is probably divided into three separate groups, not to mention the controversy that will come from the Membership. Remember what Lincoln said about a house divided! A strong opposition from the Membership should be able to accomplish many good things. We just need to get ourselves organized and establish our mission.

9. SCR

SCR Active Member

Can’t wait for the new truncated video on Mondays meeting.

Nia N Maxwell and eyesopen like this.
  10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Member

Atkins should resign after her rude outburst at the member meeting calling Karen a Liar, she showed her true self right then & there. And Egghead, I mean Ege, should already be gone for that stunt he pulled at the camera guild, he was busted..hands down. Those 2 directors should excuse themselves and immediately leave the board. And....don't let the door hit you in the ars on your way out.

11. SCR

SCR Active Member

So the first board meeting with the new board members is in the books.

have they listened to us?

12. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Another disappointing day at an RCSC board meeting. Attendance was good and most were there to learn the final results of the bylaw amendments that were originally presented at the Annual Membership Meeting and 3 of which were brought forward to todays meeting by director Collins.

Well....those who expected disappointment weren't disappointed. After waiting for over 2-1/2 hours we learned that Director Lenefsky had a doctor's appointment for a medical procedure and would therefore have to leave the meeting early. But...before leaving, however, he made a motion to postpone voting on the 3 bylaw amendments until the Jan. 27th meeting! So...in a typical disappointing fashion, which seems to be the norm, Members left the meeting not knowing much more than when they came in!

One very disappointing factor was director Lenefky's reason why he will be voting "no" on some particular upcoming amendments. He's basing his reason on a "what if"!! He wants one of the bylaw amendments from the annual membership meeting that isn't even on the agenda or up for a vote to be withdrawn before he can approve the others! Maybe we should just wait until the sky opens-up and it begins raining frogs?????

Why would you base your decision on something that hasn't even happened yet and may never will?

Gonna be another fun year!

Oh....One bit of good news is; the return of the lectern and a row of reserved seating for those who sign-up to speak! Yippie!

13. eyesopen

Lenefsky did not get my vote! The board already bowing to “Your Honor” is foreboding…

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  14. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Director Lenefsky's problem is he over-thinks everything. It's gonna be very hard to pin him down early on anything. I'm afraid he will continue to run different scenarios of "what-if's" through his mind up until the last minute when he's required to make a decision.

I don't think we will be able to convince him of anything. Too many years as a lawyer and judge!

15. eyesopen

Exactly why I could not vote for him. Good luck to the other board members trying to reign him in on anything! Works well and plays well with others should be a Director qualification :)

Nia N Maxwell and OneDayAtATime like this.
  16. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Member

Well, we don't want someone to "go along to get along" that's what the last dictator president had. I didn't vote for this Lenefsky Lawyer either, but at least there is plenty of discussion on motions. Something that has been absent for a very long time. Cook is NOT going to be able to run things like Eck did. He will take direction from the BOD like he's suppose to. Did anyone notice this is the 2nd meeting where Cook went to the mic and said "you sound accusatory" Boy.... he must be feeling a little guilty about something, huh?

17. eyesopen

“Cook is NOT going to be able to run things like Eck did. He will take direction from the BOD like he's suppose to.”
    That’s for sure!!!

My concern with Lenefsky is his apparent tendency to get his way. He wanted the board to delay decisions because he needs something removed before he’ll make a decision…the board “went along to get along” when they approved his motion. Very early in the year, we’ll see how it plays out.

18. BPearson

I waited till this morning to respond. Personally i saw yesterday's meeting as a positive. Dale's opening statement was good. The parliamentarian, we asked for tried to maintain order in accordance with Robert's Rules. Establishing a by-laws committee is a good thing as they are an absolute mess; 15 years of allowing someone to just scratch out whatever she felt like got us into the problems we have with conflicts from Articles of Incorporation. They tried to shove our motions into the rewrite, but their by-laws calls for them to answer us, not delay for months or years.

The delay on acting on Steve's motions (our motions actually) was disappointing. The theater people showed up and they too have become a pawn in this whole process. They deserve a theater and as i said to an old friend yesterday, if they hadn't been pouring so much money into golf, they could have had one years ago. In fact, they (the board) created their own nightmare when they made a 40 million dollar proposal that should have just been for a new theater. I suspect most of us in the room want to see a performing arts theater and would support that.

The one obvious short fall through the very long meeting yesterday was the question regarding parking at the new Mountaiview project. I have yet to see any kind of report or summary of just exactly what is required by code. If we learned nothing from Fairway when it was built, the county mandates on required parking spaces is an absolute. Yes, both for handicap spots, but there are also requirements for parking spaces per square footage, or actual occupancy.

Hopefully the days of just saying crap is over. They did put a 90 day moratorium on signing any contracts for Mountainview. It would seem to me they could get answers to Collins questions regarding the cost of asbestos abatement and could tell us exactly how many parking spaces would be required for the following:
    1). A stand-alone theater with seating for 400/450?
    2). A gymnasium and fitness area.
    3). 2 pools; one resort pool, the second a sports pool.
    4). A lawn bowling green, two-story pickleball court and an ADA compliant mini-golf course.

These are their proposals to us. Do i think they were blowing smoke up our ass? Absolutely, 100%. We know there is a limited footprint which in turn drives what can actually be built on the property. Each of the above items takes space but also increases the amount of parking required by code. Either there is room, or there isn't. That question should be answered first and foremost. Once we come back to earth on what can actually go there we can more realistically address going forward. This shouldn't be that hard.

Lots of other issues loom. We heard nothing about the 6 million dollar lake fix we were told about last year. I also get concerned that it is just a given the 20 million dollars for desert landscaping isn't a question but another of those "we don't have any choice." I get it, when you don't get water for the roughs, something you have no control of, we just dump that kind of PIF money into golf. What happens if we just let it go dormant and die?

It would seem to me the powers that be should begin to compile just how much they have spent on the golf courses above and beyond what they have taken in in revenue. When i say that, i mean actually allocating the PIF dollars the old gm shoved on the facilities side, rather than on the golf side. Then add up how much they lost each year and what they poured into them via capital improvements. We need to know where we are relative to expenses as we go forward. No i'm not trying to recapture the money we shouldn't have spent, but we need to be both realistic and honest with the membership as we look to what the future holds.

At some point, as i said, we need come back to earth. I thought yesterday was a start. 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

19. SCR

SCR Active Member

Has the video of yesterdays meeting been posted yet. Seems to get longer and longer before the video is posted.

20. eyesopen

TA-DAH!

RCSC Board of Directors Meeting - Monday, January 10, 2022
    3:33.31

TAP Watch on YouTube, takes you directly there!