Cooking with a Steamer

Discussion in 'The Sun City Kitchen & Recipes' started by Anita Mae, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I most always prepare my food - - all of it...Breakfast....Dinner - In my steamer.
    It is easier on energy than the stove-top or oven.
    Better for you - health wise - than a microwave. !
    Cooks - oatmeal and fruit for breakfast - -even eggs - hardboiled.
    Prepares perfect steamed veggies.
    Fish, and chicken - The Best !
    My steamer also has a Rice cooker bowl.
    Nice for quick- healthy meals ...:emmersed:

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

What is a steamer?

3. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

A small appliance. Check them out next time to go to Walmart, Sears, or even some Hardware stores carry them - - maybe Big Lots. Steamers are a healthy, convenient way to fix vegetables, rice seafood and more. Fill with water, add your veggies, fish, chicken, whatever. Yummy

black-and-decker-hs1000-handy-steamer-with-flavor-scenter-screen.jpg Steamer with rice cooker..png

I actually have two steamers - - similar to pic on left - - one is a two-tier oval, the other round.
    (Round one steams a whole head of cauliflower - Looks great on the table.)
    The Rice cooker-steamer (right) - I also have...you can actually use the cooking-type pot like an electric skillet.

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I think I will buy one.
    What is the difference between a steamer and a crockpot.
    It should be apparent, but I don't get it.

5. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

A steamer steams the food -- it is hot ! !
    A crock-pot slow cooks food.
    both ways are a very healthy way to prepare food.

This evening's dinner was prepared in my steamer.

100_3238.JPG 100_3240.jpg black-and-decker-hs1000-handy-steamer-with-flavor-scenter-screen.jpg

My steamer is a Black & Decker...I have one similar to the pic on the right...only my oval one is a 2-tier steamer... I also have a round steamer.

Pics on the left are dinner !

Using the steamer BOWL- -
    Add 1 layer of frozen broccoli, a layer of frozen spinache, small amt. of frozen Edamame (soy beans) .
    Top with frozen white fish of your choice -- I normally use flounder, talapia, pollak, or swai -- your choice.
    top fish with chopped garlic and red pepper... or whatever spices you want. Add cherry tomatoes.

Cook - steam for 35 minutes or till done.
    A nice one dish meal. Easy & fast & healthy

Can be served over rice or pasta. I prefer just as it is.

Use any combo of veggies - that you might have on hand. use your imagination on spices, also.

6. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I made this dish (a nice one meal quickie) again, in my steamer !

100_3245.jpg

Bottom layer of broccoli, red bell pepper slices, bean sprouts, spinache, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, swai fish,
    and a topping of crushed garlic amd Italian Herbs.
    So good and so healthy !

7. gilmark

gilmark New Member

Sounds like something I'd like. Will watch for one at a garage sale :) ....

8. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

I got my round Black & Decker Steamer -- brand new -- for only $5.00 at a yard sale...it is perfect for a whole head of cauliflower or head of cabbage to be steamed...AND to display an entire head on your table -- looks impressive to your guests... dash on the parsley, paprika, whatever seasonings...looks nice !
    Check the thrift stores...or Goodwill/Salvation army...They have a nice selection for small appliances, also.

2 tier steamer.png
    I found this pic on line - -but I have this 2 tier steamer -- and love it...
    It will also hard-boil eggs.