Cook At Home or Eat Out?

Discussion in 'The Sun City Kitchen & Recipes' started by wizfourfam, May 26, 2013.

1. wizfourfam

wizfourfam New Member

Hello,

I am new to this retirement thing. What do you find, you go out more or cook in more? Is it more cost effective to eat in or go out? So used to cooking family style and now down to cooking for two.......

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

It definitely costs more to eat out. I follow this idea:
    Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.

The Royal Cafe at Grand & Del Webb/107 is fairly good and reasonably priced.
    Watch out for the calories in fast food restaurants.

Many restaurants in the SC area offer Senior Specials.
    Some grocery stores have "Senior Days".

I get together with friends for lunch/dinner about once a week.

Cooking for one (1) or two (2) is difficult after cooking for six (6).
    I often share leftovers with friends and vice versa.

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

In another post I mentioned the Sun City Senior Center.

They offer a breakfast each Wednesday from 7-9 for a suggested contribution of $2 per person.

Lunch is offered every weekday (except holidays) for a suggested contribution of $3.50 per person.
    Reservations should be made up to 3 days in advance. Cancellations up to 3 p.m. the day before.
    No same day cancellations. (I have no idea what they do if you don't show up)

I have had several lunches at the Senior Center.
    Portions are generouse and food excellent.

BTW. There is no membership fee to participate in any activity.

4. bmac007

bmac007 Member

I find it easier to eat in as I am not a big breakfast eater... Love Lunch (I will actually go out 2-3 time a week to get some lunch).. Dinner I like eating early... Don't like it sitting in my stomach overnight... So to answer your question.. I eat out 2-3 times a week... Dinner maybe out once a week...