Buying a Used Car--Anyone Know an Honest Dealer in SC or SCW?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Near&Far, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Near&Far

Near&Far New Member

I need a car, and know what I want: a used all-electric vehicle. Either a Nissan Leaf or Smart ForTwo EV. I'm coming from another state, and see some (online) that look good at Easy Street Auto Sales, 13211 N. 11th, Sun City. Is this dealer reputable? Are there other dealers in/around Sun City or Sun City West that anyone can recommend?

The problem is, I don't have a car, and can't drive around.

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Hey N&F, welcome back. Sorry, no experience with that dealership. One of the concerns has to be about the cars history; after last summers hurricanes in Texas and Florida, you need be careful of where any car you buy used came from. Haven't ever used them, but there sites are where you can trace a car's history. Might cost a couple of bucks, but in the long run it could save you a bundle.

3. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I was this close [ ] to flying in this week to buy a used Leaf that is really clean. I even had a flight. Then I decided to wait a few years and keep driving my current car. But I have looked around a bit. If possible, I would try to go with the Certified Used ones as they have been checked over and have a great warranty. I visited AutoNation Nisaan in Tempe and they seemed very good to me. The one, however, I had planned to buy this week was at Avondale Nissan. I only talked to them on the phone. I realize you don't have a car, but I would suggest choose one or more online at what you might want and then take an Uber or Lyft to test drive the car. Or rent a car for a day and drive around. Don't limit yourself to one dealer because it is close to SC.

I'm a bit hesitant to buy a car from an all-around used car dealer. If you find one from Easy Street or some other you don't know, I would really try to get one of the Certified Used. They can't be older that 6 years to get that. Naturally that increases the price but good deals are out there. I've done quite a bit of research on the Leaf and each year of production changes it's features. The battery health is so important when you buy electric, as I'm sure you know, and age is a prime factor. The battery warranty from Nissan is 8 yrs/100,000 and starts at the day of production. Arizona heat will take the battery down quicker so you want some of that warranty left when you buy the car. I was only looking to buy a Leaf. Originally I had also considered a Smart ForTwo EV, but I changed my mind after reading more about them. Very poor reviews all around. Leaf generally had good reviews. I liked the Leaf when I drove it.

4. Near&Far

Near&Far New Member

Many great ideas, Cythia, thank you. I will go ahead and rent a car so I can look around. I just looked at the Consumer Reports auto ratings (April 2018), and they give the 2nd highest rating to the new Nissan Leaf in both "reliability" and "satisfaction." CR does not like the Smart EV. So the Leaf will be my first choice. I prefer walking and biking over driving, and have been car-free for the last 12 years where I live in CA. However I just bought a condo in Sun City West, and there are no buses.

I like the Certified pre owned idea, but it adds $3-4K to the price. Some dealers provide the "CARFAX" Vehicle History report at no charge, and it is possible to trace the VIN# on google. I will see what I can do with these, but will keep the Certified idea on the table. As long as I'm not in a hurry I won't end up with a lemon.

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Exactly. Don't hurry. Look around.