Bars on Windows

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Julianna, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Julianna

Julianna Member

Hello I am noticing a lot of homes have bars on the windows and front doors.
    Curious of everyone's thoughts.

2. 3rdGen

3rdGen Member

If they make someone feel safe OK, not for me.

3. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Throwback to the old days when the Del E Webb Corporation (DEVCO) was building homes (1960-1978). Some of it was for looks as they used lots of iron work as decorative feature, some because it made the "old people" safe. Over the years folks have been slowly taking it down, giving a more updated look to the community. Part of the beauty of the community is there is no one size fits all, keep your property up and almost anything goes.

4. Adam560

Adam560 Member

Just remember, although bars on the windows can keep bad guys out, they can also keep you locked in in case of fire. If you decide to install window bars, make sure they are the kind with a quick release on the inside of the house.

5thd likes this.
  5. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I installed steel security screens for my screen doors and windows. They don't have any bars just a screen, but are as strong as bars. They look good, quite modern, because it's a mesh. Clear view to see out, darker to see in. Yes, I like the security. They have a bar that you hit for escape, as easy as opening the window. Different manufactures have different escape bars, I think my brand is Crimesafe. Be ready for sticker shock if you want them though. Not cheap, but worth it IMO.

6. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

What kind of air flow do you get?

7. Cynthia

About the same as any screen.

8. 5thd

5thd Member

Wow on the airflow. I noticed less air flow with 90percent sunscreens vs. 80percent.

9. Cynthia

I’m probably not as mindful of airflow differences between types of screens. Don’t take my word for it on that point. I like them for the look and security but the airflow might be less.