Ask My Buddy

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Cynthia, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Thought someone might find this helpful. If you have an Alexa device or Google Home (no judgement please), you can use it to call someone in an emergency if you can't reach your phone. It will call the person on your list and tell them you need help. It will NOT call 911, however, so not a substitute for that. It's free. Here's a video on how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/askmybuddy

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Wow, nice feature. And to think my favorite use of Alexa is asking her to make "farting" noises. Odd, i think it's funny, my wife not so much. Maybe it's just a guy thing eh?

Anyway, great use of the technology , especially in this market. How many of you are using either Alexa or Google Home? If so, which one?

Emily Litella likes this.
  3. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I have an Alexa Echo spot (answers to the word computer because I enjoy feeling like I'm on Star Trek). I use it to play music, sometimes ask it the weather and I set up Ask My Buddy too. When I get to SC I will use it more because I installed Lutron lights switches for most of the recessed lights and they work with Alexa...great when your hands are full or wet. Also have a few other things that will work with it.

Emily Litella likes this.
  4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

We switched from Cox to Dish a year ago at the rental house and got an Echo spot with Dish in the package we bought. I thought it was kind of hokey until it was hooked up and then i was blown away. So cool. Of course just leaving it for the renter to have one and not us made no sense so we went out and bought the full sized Echo because it had far better sound and volume. Love telling her to play virtually any song by almost any artist and walla, there it is.

A quick note for anyone looking to buy one of these little buggers, you do need an Amazon Prime account to connect to. And while i probably don't need it, i pay $3.99 a month for an upgraded music contract. Not sure what you need on the Google home device.