Artisan bread

Discussion in 'The Sun City Kitchen & Recipes' started by BruceW, Aug 5, 2013.

1. BruceW

BruceW Active Member

If you like to make Artisan bread this link provides some great info. I make this often and am still experimenting a bit. Pretty fun to make a not much in the way of kneading required. The article says to wait until the bread cools, but I usually can't, fresh hot crusty bread with some butter... too hard to resist sometimes. I find if I make it after dinner I do much better. ;-)
    http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2...ues-to-create-a-great-loaf-in-5-minutes-a-day

2. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Used to make bread regularly but since moving here the spirit hasn't moved me, prob because I can't imagine turning on the oven in 100 plus degrees. Then the cooler weather comes and I make up for all the outside stuff I couldn't do during the summer. Guess I could dust off the old tabletop baker, but it's just not thew same....

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I don't do much oven cooking in the summer.
    However, I have been using my small toaster oven.
    Cooked a small pizza yesterday. Not bad.

4. suncityjack

Yes, the little appliances are handy to have. I have a small pizza stone that fits in my toaster oven. After it heats up, I plunk down a pizza made with a tortilla and it crisps up well and rivals personal pizzas they charge c. 6 bucks for at restaurants.

5. BruceW

BruceW Active Member

Ah yes, I had not thought about the 100+ weather since I don't live in SC yet. I have a friend that bakes bread on his bbq grill. He uses a small stone and sometimes a covered stone baker. I have not tried this yet, but I think it may be a fun experiment cause his bread is dang good. My friend says it takes a grill that you can turn off one side so it doesn't burn the bottom, he also said you need a good oven thermometer so you can get your covered grill to a consistent 350... unfortunately I don't have one like that, yet.

6. suncityjack

That sounds like an interesting idea for those grillers, but I'm not one of them. Another thing about bread baking that I meant to try but never did, was to order starters from exotic places. I seem to remember some place on the web that had yeasts and such from around the world, some tracing back to ancient Egypt, etc. Curious if anyone ever tried those....