Arizona Climate

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by pegmih, Jun 5, 2013.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

One of the chief attractions of Arizona is a healthful
    CLIMATE, with clear and sunny skies and dry weather. Because of its varied topography, the climate changes from one region to the next. The mountains have cold harsh winters, but desert winters are sunny and mild. Year-round warm weather allows outdoor festivals in any season. The climate is an important factor in the location of space observatories and aircraft and missile proving grounds. The
    State Climatologist provides information about the Climate of Arizona.
    Monsoon Season brings rain and high winds. In 2010 several tornadoes swept thru the eastern part of the state - very unusual. Global Warming may effect the climate of Arizona.

2. bmac007

bmac007 Member

The weather is gorgeous in Arizona! Tornados? That's crazy.. didn't know that.. Were they anywhere close to Sun City?

3. Ken

Ken Administrator

I bet it must be getting hot in Sun City Arizona around this time of year?

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

The very small tornadoes were in the eastern part of the state.
    No where near Sun City. Del Webb must have done a lot of research to put Sun City where it is.

5. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Yep. It's getting hot and gonna get even hotter:rolleyes-new:
    Now is when I really appreciate the remote start on my car.
    It is nice & cool when I get in.

6. bmac007

bmac007 Member

Peg, I have heard about those cars that have the "auto start" obviously you like it..right?

Have you heard of cars having "air conditioned" seats!! I actually sat in one and they are fantastic... Strongly recommend it if anyone buys a new car and it's a feature to have...

7. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Remote Start

It is called remote start NOT auto start. Not sure what difference would be.
    Yes, it is very nice to get into a cool car.
    I'm not sure how far away from car it works.

8. Fiona

Fiona New Member

Whoooooie it is hot today and was 117 when we left the clay club around noon. You just need to slow down a bit and stay hydrated.

9. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

When I still lived in the state of Washington and corresponded with someone in Arizona,
    I asked about the summer heat.
    She responded "turn your oven on to 450, wait a bit, open oven and stick your head in"
    That is exactly like it felt when I went out at 4:00 this afternoon to get my newspaper.

So nice to get back into airconditioned house.

BTW. What does everyone keep the ac temp in their house?
    During the day I have it at 82. In the afternoon I turn it down to 80.
    In the night I turn it down to 78.

Any suggestions?

10. bmac007

bmac007 Member

I keep mine in the house all the time at 77...

11. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

If I kept it at 77, I'd have to put on a sweater!

12. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Go figure...I go to GOOGLE News this morning and see an article about Las Vegas sweltering under the heat. It goes on to say the temps reached 115 but failed to break the record. In the next sentence it talks about Phoenix being hot too. Duh! 119 yesterday, broke the all time record of 117 but no mention of either.

Ya gotta love those news feeds.

13. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

After many thermostat wars we have settled on a steady 82 degrees with a couple circulating fans. It's made a big difference in the electric bill with just the 3 degree raise in temps and no humidity.

14. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I thought I had replied to this.
    If I kept my house at 77 I would have to put on a sweater!

I am following instructions for hot weather.
    Usually I do my errands in the afternoon.
    Now I do them in the morning. Ugh! I am not a morning person.

15. DDArm

DDArm Member

We have the thermostat programmed. From 7:00PM to Noon, as well as all weekend, it runs at 78. Other than that it is set to 80 or 81.

16. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

It was hot in Los Angeles too. I turned on my AC for the first time this year.

17. Fiona

Fiona New Member

We usually run our AC at 83 during the day and 84 at night but keep a little fart fan on us to help cool down more.

A gal from TX when asked about how the heat feels here in AZ, she replies "Well it feels like the oven door opening in your face, but in TX it feels like the dishwasher". I love that. I will choose the oven over the dishwasher any day.