Another Del Webb statue

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by carptrash, Feb 21, 2018.

?

Do you know where this statue of Del Webb is?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Who cares

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Okay, so you pretty much kicked my butt on the Library Del Webb statue, but how many of you can locate the other statue of Del Webb around here? Del Webb 3861.jpg

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Are you ever going to tell us where these statues are located? The game must have an answer.

3. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Well, I'll tell you, but I'll not put it in writing, so . . . . . . . . . ................
    Because it's not a game.
    It's
    my life.

4. Cynthia

If you ask people to answer a quiz, to me it is some type of a game. You don't want people to know the location of these so they can go see them? I guess I don't get the point of it.

5. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Fine, I'll tell. What I really want is not so much for folks to know where these particular works are as to make them aware that such rings even exist. Show a person a statue and they will see one statue, teach them how to spot statues and they will be enriched for the rest of their lives.

6. Cynthia

Don't tell if you don't want. It's up to you. But my thinking is different. If you tell people where something is, they are more likely to seek it out to see it. That's what travel guides do. Both ways can enrich. Maybe you should write a book or a blog of some sort about these items you search out. Maybe that would make you happier than just posting them here.

Perhaps your "teach them how to spot statues.." is a reference to the Peace Corps ad of "teach them to fish" from years ago. I was in the Peace Corps so I remember that well. It was not original though. I turn to the Quote Investigator for the answer https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/08/28/fish/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  7. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Hmmmm. Well that would be a yes about the Peace Corps. I was a PCV myself, though never did teach anyone to fish. My father on the other hand . . . ............

8. Cynthia

80-82 Philippines. Maybe we should start an RPCV group and see who comes out of the woodwork.

9. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Hmmmm. It gets stranger. I was Belize 1976-77, but graduated from high school in the PI. And "yes" about the club.

10. Cynthia

I went in a bit later, not straight out of college like many. Do you speak Tagalog?

11. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I was also a late entry, went in as the only non-matrix husband in the non-matrix spouse program (often called the"non-matrix wife" program), that I know of, and "no I did not speak any Tagalog" and have forgotten most of the swear words that, as a high school boy, I was required to learn. A few years letter, while hitch-hiking to Rhode Island I was picked up by two guys, Just out of the Navy, one of whom used one of the phrases I'd learned, to a gas station attendant, while smiling, a PI trick I knew about. When I asked them if they were Filipinos they said, "Yes, how do you know" and were quite embarrassed when I told them. Did you learn it? Tagalog that is.

12. Cynthia

Yes I was farily fluent when I was there. Few spoke English where I lived in Occidental Mindoro so I needed it. Now I can still speak without thinking but my vocabulary is limited. I learned Spanish after that and I'm sometimes confused between the two. Tagalog uses a few nouns and numbers of Spanish but the syntax and verbs are totally different. Funny thing is when I am (trying) to speak Spanish and I don't know the word the Tagalog pops into my head. Or sometimes I'm not sure if the word I'm saying is Spanish or Tagalog. But the Spanish is work for me to speak. The Tagalog come naturally...it's deep in my brain.

What is a non-matrix husband? I'm not familiar with that term. I'm going to guess. Your wife was the actual PCV and you went along?

13. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Well I was an actual PCV too, but went along on her apron strings, so to speak. The non-matrix spouse thing was a plan to get more qualified vols and apparently it didn't work too well in general but it worked fine for me. I got a "job" at a local high school and was the only American and the lowest paid teacher on staff. Since Belize was the former British Honduras I didn't have to learn a language, just understand Belizian Creole, which, if students wanted me to say "huh?" a bunch of times was easily done.

14. Cynthia

Did you get a paycheck plus the PC steipend? Did PC help you find the job? They didn’t help most of us much then...just found a community who wanted us and one community contact person. Then we had to work out the rest ourselves, including a place to live. It was tough sometimes. A few went into established programs.

15. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Well we (me and my matrix spouse) got pregnant and our choices were have the baby in country or take a medical discharge. Our PCV nurse friends both said, "Don't do it here!" and as it turned out Eila was footling breach, became a C-section, so Ann Arbor was a good place to do all that. As soon as we were out our PC insurance ended and we had to use all our resettlement stipend for those bills. Eila was well worth it. Still is. No, no they were no help finding a job.

16. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Oh, you mean a job in country. Well there was a matrix job in place, I found a teaching job at a school that allowed the geography (my minor) teacher to teach art , what he wanted to do, and the Principal dumped his "commercial" English classes on me. It was fine. I had a good time at work and elsewhere, Matrix spouse not at all.