Amazon

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by archer, Aug 28, 2013.

1. archer

archer New Member

I freely admit to being an Amazon junkie......I do almost all my shopping there. My daughter and I share a Prime membership, which among other perks gives us free 2 day shipping on anything we buy that is Prime eligible. While Sun City has a lot of available shopping close by, here in Colorado we are 45 minutes to an hour from the shopping malls, and driving in and out of the mountains can eat up a lot of gas. But, even in Sun City I will do most of my holiday shopping online with Amazon getting most of my business. There is something appealing to me about shopping in jammies with a cup of coffee in hand, or late at night with a glass of wine. Not that I won't actually GO shopping, but I would rather window shop and grab lunch somewhere and not feel like I have to buy anything......stress free shopping trips.

Anyone else changed their shopping habits now that online shopping has become so easy?

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Amazon junkie here and I share a Prime membership with someone too. I wonder if they are ever going to catch us on that one? It seems like a bit of loop-hole doesn't it?

3. archer

archer New Member

Actually they advertise it. When my daughter got the Prime membership they told her she could add up to 4 other people to her membership. The add on members dont get all the extra perks, but the free 2 day shipping was what I was interested in most. Although it would be nice to get the kindle book borrowing feature. Maybe when I run out of unread books on my kindle I will consider. But... Most of the books I have on my Kindle were either free or under $3.

4. Cynthia

And I thought I was getting away with something. Darn. I didn't know you could add people for free. Also didn't know about the no borrowing of kindle books. I am an add on to someone but maybe next year I will be the primary since I do have a kindle. I still read books more, but the kindle is good for carrying around.

5. BruceW

BruceW Active Member

Yeah, I have to admit to being a Amazon prime junkie too (well at least my wife is ;)). We each have our own wish list so when the other wants to surprise one with something they know where to get ideas. Although now that the Thornton Cabela's is open (yes I was one of the first 500 in the door) all she has to do is buy me a gift card to make me happy. I also have a personal shopper at Brighton Jewelry for her surprise stuff.
    The old shopping experience of getting dressed up to go downtown sure has changed. Mom used to get dressed up, drop us kids off at the Covello (movie theater) with 35 cents each to watch a movie while she shopped. The other treat was to eat lunch at the Woolworth. It was a treat because we only shopped like that only once or maybe twice a year. The rest of the time you got by with what you had and mom did a lot of sewing. I always had knee patches as a kid.

6. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Nice memories BruceW. I was a fan of Woolworth's lunch counters too. For some reason those triple decker BLTs with the fancy toothpicks have never tasted better anywhere else.
    Day after Thanksgiving is big shopping day at Sun City. Folks cram the Sundial Rec Center and snatch up all sorts of handcrafted items that help support the clubs and members often get a cut too. That's my kind of shopping since you get to talk to the folks and see their faces light up and know it's helping our community. Same thing for our local shops since I don't want us or neighboring towns to become ghost towns. Your sales tax dollars at work all around. Despite the convenience of online buying, it's always my last choice once other options have been exhausted--can often negotiate for better price locally if you show the online ad that's tempting you.

7. archer

archer New Member

We never miss the after Thanksgiving craft fair......my granddaughter loves American Girl dolls and I have been able to buy clothes for her doll far cheaper than any store, and so original as they have been lovingly made by hand (OK, some by sewing machine). I have bought beautiful wooden toys for the youngsters, and have my eye on one of the long wooden trains for this Christmas now that the youngest grandson is old enough to appreciate it.

8. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I'm an online shopper via both Amazon & Walmart. I don't like crowds and both online sites have excellent service. My only complaint about shopping for clothing locally is that you will find others showing up in the same outfits! I know it shows someone else has good taste but it is easy to avoid by shopping out of the area.

9. archer

archer New Member

Many times I have bought something from a local store because I really needed to try it on as some things are hard to fit.....but if I like it, then I will go on-line and try to find it through Amazon or another on-line retailer. I do all my shoe shopping on-line because there are so few stores that will carry a size 5, and running from store to store to see the few shoes available would cost me more in gas than I would spend on the shoes.

10. Cynthia

Buy online, ship for free, return to store if it doesn't work out. I like that feature.

11. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I have no clue as to what Amazon has.
    Why is it a good place to buy?

12. archer

archer New Member

It would be easier to list what they dont have.... That is if I ever come across something that I can't buy from them. Seriously, they carry just about everything. Their prices are very competitive with most products being much less expensive then local stores. Their customer service is awesome. Take the time and go to Amazon.com and poke around. If you read they are #1 book sales....