A Quiz...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Nov 14, 2021.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I know, captivating header eh? Once i saw the letter of response from the RCSC attorney, i immediately thought about ways for all of us as mere subjects to the board and the general manager, we may as well try and get some mileage out of their crack legal team. I suspect some poor schmuck legal assistant is stuck reading this, watching for slander. And if not, we know board members and potential candidates read, so what the hell, let's call this a PSA (Public Service Announcement). Or better yet...the age of enlightenment.

We're pretty sure, but not positive due to all the dancing around the issue, Karen was fired for a "conflict of interest." I wish i could be more definitive, but with all that shimming and shaking regarding executive sessions being akin to top secret CIA stuff, who knows for sure. This will be a chance for their attorney to help us get our head around what a "conflict of interest" really, really is...or at the very least should be.

So, without further ado, A Quiz:
    Which of the two scenarios best describes a "conflict of interest" by a board member?

A). A board member who plays pickleball argues long and loudly about losing 25% of the courts in a community that is well under served in the number of courts in the community already. She knows that losing those courts will result in congestion at the one remaining venue and will also hurt home sales because pickleball is the fastest growing sport for seniors in America.

B). For 15 years board members, who are golfers, continue to be elected and during those 15 years they repeatedly vote to keep golfing rates artificially low and personally benefit from their vote. Worse yet, they know full well golf was intended to be self-sustaining, but ignore it.

I've color coded them to make it easier for anyone taking the quiz. Now you can say either: Red/blue or A/B. Just as an aside, i helped teach a number of sessions on "situational ethics," and conflicts of interest was always a part of the presentation. As well it should be because, well, conflicts of interest from a legal perspective are serious breaches of the public trust that boards should be concerned about and avoid.

But enough about me, how about all those attorneys and wanna-be's out there? I freely admit i'm not one, never wanted to be one and in fact, try not to have them as friends. They are often way too serious and can't take a joke. Especially when it is pointed at them.

So have at it gang, put on your best barrister hat and give us the down and dirty on which would be a true conflict of interest.

2. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

It's been difficult not posting on all the issues of late.

There is a possible 3rd scenario of Conflict of Interest to throw into the ring. Is it a conflict of interest for a General Manager of a corporation to get financial gain because they directly earn their income from rentals in the exact location they hold the power? Should the theoretical GM have no conflict of interest in steering policies to add to their profits? (Not sure if the exiting GM or incoming GM hold title to non-primary residences at this time.)

Of course I'd vote blue(b) and also green!

3. BPearson

Hey aggie, i haven't and won't go there even though we both know the answer. I will just say, that is a tricky one. The simple truth is all of us benefit as our homes values increase. Some just get it in multiples many times over. I think most attorney's would recommend they avoid what would look like a potential conflict just for the sake of propriety. The bigger question, once we actually know the true totals, will be; why was so much money dumped into golf when it is in fact a sport struggling to survive?

4. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Well, it seems to me that since the Articles of Incorporation require to: "To do anything and everything lawfully necessary in the interest of the Members of the Corporation, including, without limitation, the following:"

Having a Director advocating for pickleball was simply doing "everything lawfully necessary in the interest of the Members"

Nope...don't see any conflict there!?!?!?

Aggie makes a very good point especially because money is involved!

5. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Active Member

Sometimes you TOSC posters who have been here long before me dangle a carrot and then vamoose. Am I reading that someone might be gaining financially because they have invested in rental properties in the area that they are employed in? Oops, wasn't I supposed to say that here? Why not? Why riddles?

6. Cheri Marchio

Cheri Marchio Active Member

Well posed Bill.

B is the conflict of interest. C is interesting.....

7. BPearson

Over the years, at least one board president had a number of rental properties in Sun City and only the good lord knows for sure how many the gm has or at least had?

8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I've heard rumors that there could be as many as 7 or more!