A quick and easy - - 3- course meal

Discussion in 'The Sun City Kitchen & Recipes' started by Anita Mae, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Company coming in a couple of hours - - nothing ready or even a thought given about what to prepare for lunch ! !

Fortunately it is summer and I had a nice selection of fresh fruit refridgerated...hooray ---- cut-cut-chop-chop.. I made a wonderful tasting fruit salad - for Dessert ...in no time at all....placed all in a clear glass bowl - and the fruit color's just made the dish appetizing ! a sprinkle of cinnamon on top !

Salad: I had the greens as well as tomatoes, celery, radishes, green red bell peppers - - chop-chop-cut-cut... All salad fixin's into a clear glass bowl - - beautiful.

Main Dish: - -place a package of White Rice Noodles (very thin thin noodles) in a large bowl ----put boiling hot water to cover them - -let soak approx. 3 minutes.....requires no Real-Cooking - - the rice noodles softens to taste just by soaking in hot water. yum !

Add a bag of seasoned - ready to cook in microwave - in its own bag-- vegetables....I used the snap peas, cut potatoes & bell peppers item. Microwave and layer on top of drained noodles. Add 1/2- each chopped red and green bell peppers. To finish - -add one can salmon on top. Stir lightly. It was so good - - served with your choice of either hot sauce or soy sauce !

Drink: - -Sun Tea- iced - - (natch)-- flavored with a dash of key lime.

Total time to prepare all of this was less than 45 minutes and that includes all the chop-chop-cut-cut !

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Do you really make Sun Tea?

When I first moved to AZ, I did make it.

Then I read that it was not a good idea. Forget why. Something to do with bacteria I think.

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Another thought.
    If I have unexpected company arriving, I will get a pizza at a takeout place or Safeway.
    Another thing I might do is get fried chicken at Frys (I like theirs better than KFC) and some potato salad and cole slaw.
    Now that's what I call easy!

I always have cans of soda in the frig.

4. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Yes, Pegmih, a Bacteria or Fungus or something - not so good - will make your Sun Tea not safe to drink - -
    it will also turn it cloudy after afew days...so I always boil my water - -(in the microwave) at least 6 minutes on high before I add it to my tea bags in a Glass Container - -
    THEN I put it out in the Sun all day to get that Sun's Vit D.
    I think it might have something to do with the stuff in our water ??? maybe ??? Boil water first.

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I hope you are aware that boiling water (alone) in a microwave is dangerous. It can explode in your face. You might see a few bubbles, think it needs more heating because it's not boiling yet, you look at it and it explodes without warning. Emergency rooms see this serious burn. You can still use the microwave just put something in the container like a wooden spoon, to prevent it from super heating. Don't put the spoon in after you remove it though, that can cause the explosion also. If you use this method for heating water be very careful. Safer to use the stove.

6. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

So far no problems, Cynthia - -but appreciate the wonderful tip - for all to share. :star:

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't stop being a nurse. Been one too long.

8. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

'Tis o.k, Cynthia. TOSC needs all the medical information it can get.
    My friends without computers come to me for information re meds, etc.

BTW Hope you don't mind my asking but where were you a nurse. Just curious.