A Different Point of View

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Larry, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

Something to consider when it comes to spending the PIF money is that all of it is contributed by newcomers. I believe a lot more consideration should be given to what they want instead of what long time residents think they deserve. Let’s look ahead at current trends and future predictions as to what will continue to make our community a more desirable place for newcomers to want to live. It’s their dollars that allow these improvements to happen.

Green Dragon and Janet Curry like this.
  2. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Yes, new owners should have a voice in the plans for our community. However, not exclusively.

“ all of it is contributed by newcomers.”
    “…It’s their dollars that allow these improvements to happen.”
    The PIF funds do not zero out annually, it’s an accumulation of member-owner mandatory payment at time of purchase.

All member-owners should be involved in our vision for the future.

3. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Larry, have you signed-up to be part of the Focus Group? Perhaps you should!

4. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

Larry, I agree. Please consider signing up for the Focus Group. You have until Monday at 4 pm. We need as many voices/opinions as possible. There are a lot of ideas percolating in the community - we need them recorded.

5. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

And, just because someone moves here is no guarantee that they intend to participate in any of the things we offer. We have stats on what present members are utilizing and they can make their voices heard, so I think that should always weigh more heavily than conjecturals.

6. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

two comments; not all PIF money comes from newcomers -- some comes from deed changes of long time residents (trusts, deaths, marriages, divorces, moves within SC, etc), and just because people are utilizing an amenity doesn't mean it's their desired amenity -- it may be just what's available and they would really prefer something the RCSC doesn't offer. So "utilization" stats can be misleading.

Green Dragon and Janet Curry like this.
  7. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Inclusive Focus Groups, representative of our community.
    ASU is also reaching out to potential residents in other parts of the country for input on what they may consider if/when looking for a future senior community.

8. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

M
    My point is that what the 70+ year old crowd thinks the money should be spent on is very likely not what the 50ish age group wants. A demographic survey on the average age of pickleball players as an example, or theater goers. Let’s get real folks. Lots of those pushing so hard for this theater may not be here long enough to enjoy it. And if the future homebuyers aren’t theater lovers, they might choose to go elsewhere. And whether or not the account zeroes out is immaterial. Almost all of it comes from newcomers that chose Sun City. It’s important to continue to provide the amenities that attract new members.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Janet Curry likes this.
  9. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

Yes
    Yes I did sign up even though I’m not a new resident. We’ve been here since April of 2009

10. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Good on all of you who have put your name in the hat to participate. I was having coffee with friends yesterday and found myself smiling when we began talking about the focus groups. I had stopped by the Museum a couple of days ago and on my phone were a couple of photos. The first was the cover from The Study For The Future (by SCHOA and outside professional group) done in the early 90's and one of the first pages was how the reports were gathered using several research models:
    * 7 focus groups.
    * 939 telephone interviews.
    * 406 face-to-face interviews.
    * 314 13-page written surveys by members.
    * 40 video-taped interviews.
    * 106 11-page surveys by community leaders.
    * 46 businesses completed 12-page surveys.
    * 81 businesses completed 4-page surveys.

There's a couple more, but the methodology was impressive. Hopefully ours will be as well.